Thread: 26/36/bash

Freshly Fujified

26/36/bash

Any thoughts on running this configuration? I'm looking at a set of LX cranks with 26, 36, and 48T chainrings (real weird combo, I know) and since the riding on this bike will NOT necessitate a big ring, please give me your thoughts on the 26/36/bash configuration for the lower gears. Looking for pro's and con's and more specifically if anyone thinks this is just a bad idea in general. If so, stop me dead in my tracks, please.

Thanks,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Former Bike Wrench
    Bob,
    I love the 36 ring...I run that myself with no big ring. However, as a fellow clyde, I also really appreciate the 22t granny. So I run a 22/36 setup with an 11-34 cassette. Despite what Shimano says, when set up properly, a Shimano or SRAM front derailuer will handle the 14t drop, no problem. I guess you have to decide based on how strong a rider you are and how steep the hills are where you ride.

PS-make sure to get a bashring big enough...most bashrings only work to a 34t ring

mtbr member
    You have what i am about to experience:

22/36 - 11/32

Hope my LX front derailleur can have it!

Freshly Fujified

Thanks guys

I had already thought about the bash ring issue, but thanks for confirming that. As for me being a strong rider, I still walk a lot of climbs even with my22t granny gear, so I'll still suck at climbs with the larger granny I'm more concerned about the performance of these two rings on flat ground and in technical terrain where I would normally be in at least 2nd or third on the rear and granny up front. My guess is the ratio would now be more like 1st or 2nd in the rear with the 26t granny up front. If I'm off on this, again, please advise. Now that it's been mentioned, I'm a bit concerned about the front derailleur issue with the larger rings, but if you're sure it can be done, I'm sure I can set the f/d up in accordance.

If anyone has anything else to add, please speak up. I have another day to decide.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Coming from a 22-32-44 combo i had a 26-36-BR set up while my proper crankset came into the bike shop. The 26 was way too high for me. I was suprised that i was walking up climbs and running out of gears on the rear. It wasn't until after the second ride that i noticed the bike shop had given me the 26-36-BR combo. They had a nice laugh when i got back and told them! I ended up going with a 24-36-BR and it has been excellent. I'm running an 11-34 in the rear.