dot
    mtbr member

22t granny ring on a 10-spd shimano triple?

I've read the compatibility thread and didn't quite figure out if the granny BCD has truly changed.

Fat-tired Roadie
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

dot
    mtbr member
    thanks, that's a lie then, the same 64mm. But are there any obstacles to run a 22t ring, like larger metal bosses for bolts on the crankarm? I haven't yet inspected 10spd cranks in vivo.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The bolts are M8x8.5. Same size as on non-10-speed Deore (and probably all other standard cranks - not something I've researched.)

I suppose if the spider were shaped differently, Shimano could create a compatibility problem. But I doubt it.

Who told you you couldn't use a 22t granny?

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Who told you you couldn't use a 22t granny?
    No one told me nothing I'm looking for truth although I'm not gonna upgrade in the nearest future. They could have changed the front mech cage as well

Fat-tired Roadie
    They'd have to change it quite a lot to make a 2t difference a dealbreaker.

My understanding was that they wanted to tighten up the shift patterns a little bit, and since the largest rear cog has a couple more teeth, making the granny a 24t ring doesn't change the lowest gear ratio.

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    They'd have to change it quite a lot to make a 2t difference a dealbreaker.

My understanding was that they wanted to tighten up the shift patterns a little bit, and since the largest rear cog has a couple more teeth, making the granny a 24t ring doesn't change the lowest gear ratio.
    I got that, front shifting between granny and middle rings was always a place to improve, but I don't really like the idea of 36t cog, too heavy (who says that, my all-purpose XC HT weighs 24lbs) and 24x36 is closer to 22x32, 22x34 is tangibly lower.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    They may have shrunk the 10 speed FD cage since it only needs to handle 8T from granny to middle instead of 10T. If so you may have chain rub on the bottom of the cage when in your granny.

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy02
    They may have shrunk the 10 speed FD cage since it only needs to handle 8T from granny to middle instead of 10T. If so you may have chain rub on the bottom of the cage when in your granny.
    That's the other side of the question. From what I saw, I conclude that I can use newer FDs because they look like they can accommodate 24t with 44t, then it's possible to set up it a bit lower and one wouldn't use 1x9 gear where rubbing is possible.

But until I try it I won't be sure anyway.