Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

22-36-Bash on XT

I would like to run a 22-26-Bash on my 2005 XT Hollowtech crank. Originaly I wanted to run a 22-32-36 and think of the 36 as a faux bash, so I got a Raceface 36t and quickly found out that it is totally unsuitable as an outer ring. So, I searched this site and went to a gear calculator and I am pretty sure a 22-36 will cover my needs. But, I have some concerns. First, I noticed that the width of the base of the alluminum RF chainring is much thicker than the original steel shimano 32t ring. Will this cause the chain to get caught on upshifts? Will it drop off the 36t and miss the 22t on down shifts? Would a Blackspire be any different? I would sure like to hear some feedback from others who have changed to this set up and what worked best.

Thanks

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank
    I would like to run a 22-26-Bash on my 2005 XT Hollowtech crank. Originaly I wanted to run a 22-32-36 and think of the 36 as a faux bash, so I got a Raceface 36t and quickly found out that it is totally unsuitable as an outer ring. So, I searched this site and went to a gear calculator and I am pretty sure a 22-36 will cover my needs. But, I have some concerns. First, I noticed that the width of the base of the alluminum RF chainring is much thicker than the original steel shimano 32t ring. Will this cause the chain to get caught on upshifts? Will it drop off the 36t and miss the 22t on down shifts? Would a Blackspire be any different? I would sure like to hear some feedback from others who have changed to this set up and what worked best.
    Thanks
    Shouldnt have a prob with 22-36 chainrings. Does the 36T have ramps if it does you should have no prob with the shifting. In most cases the thicker sprocket will not have as much room so the chain cant get stuck between.
    Happy New Year!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank

Thanks
    The difference between 22 and 36 is a bit too big for the front derailleur, you may have problems shifting from the 22 to the 36 ring. At least I had, before I changed the granny to 26. 24-36 may work just fine as well.

mtbr member
    24-36 was the standard small/mid ring configuration on cranks for 10 years, it will work just fine.
    This space for rent.