My little friends

22 32 44, Can I go to a 46T chainring for more speed??

I need more top end speed, and since I've bashed the big ring too many times it seems like a good time to get a bit larger one. Is the upshift step from the 32 to a 46 too large? I'de rather not buy all 3 rings if I can avoid it, but since I'm hoping to do the Washington to Pittsburgh Rails to Trails ride later this spring, the higher top end will knock a few hours off of the ride!

mtbr member
    I run 34 - 46 without a problem. A ring with quality shift ramps should handle it.

My little friends
    Cool! Thanks for the info!

EA

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm in the same boat.

What 46T ring are people using on 1 XT 752 crankset. A LBS near my house said it wouldn't work well. Are they pulling my leg?

Tim

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut
    I run 34 - 46 without a problem. A ring with quality shift ramps should handle it.
    EABiker next time read the post a bit more carefully, he said he's running a 34 46T not 32 46t. Shouldn't be too much of a problem running the 32 - 46t combo but they originally came on the 24/34/46 combo.

1 question though,... how much speed do you need and is this for off road? I used to think this way a while back, but the serious truth of the matter is that I highly doubt that you can actually spin out a 44/11 combo unless you're going downhill. Learn how to spin better and faster and you'll be amazed - I've managed up to 32 mph on flat road running nothing bigger than 11/44 and normally I'm not usually spinning the 11 more like 12/13.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Dr Gadget is IN

I like wide range

The best setup yet was a 4-bolt sugino crank with a smaller than standard inner circle - let me run a 20t low. The set was 20/32/48, which is actually even spacing (3 gear steps between ranges). I was running an LX bottom swing FD and a microclick gripshift with no problems, but I would bet that any 1-2-3 front shifter would be problematic.

OTOH, my 29er has a standard raceface 4 bolt crank with a Boone custom 20t low (have to have low profile bolts) for a 20/32/44. FD is a Shimano 105 triple, shifter is X7 trigger. No problems, and the FD is currently sitting high enough for a 46 or 48 due to clamp interference with a waterbottle boss. I grabbed the 105 for a quick/cheap buildup, but now I'm thinking that this is a Really Good Idea for wide range front. YMMV
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

My little friends
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    EABiker next time read the post a bit more carefully, he said he's running a 34 46T not 32 46t. Shouldn't be too much of a problem running the 32 - 46t combo but they originally came on the 24/34/46 combo.

1 question though,... how much speed do you need and is this for off road? I used to think this way a while back, but the serious truth of the matter is that I highly doubt that you can actually spin out a 44/11 combo unless you're going downhill. Learn how to spin better and faster and you'll be amazed - I've managed up to 32 mph on flat road running nothing bigger than 11/44 and normally I'm not usually spinning the 11 more like 12/13.

I'm looking for a higher cruising speed, for a long (280 mile) trip, mostly level. Currently, my comfortable long term mph is 15; if I could could get 17 from the same cadence, that would be great. I also have some nice long downhills that I run out of gear on; I don't have a high spin speed, but have very strong legs with lots of torque, so the higher gear will help!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker
    I'm looking for a higher cruising speed, for a long (280 mile) trip, mostly level. Currently, my comfortable long term mph is 15; if I could could get 17 from the same cadence, that would be great. I also have some nice long downhills that I run out of gear on; I don't have a high spin speed, but have very strong legs with lots of torque, so the higher gear will help!
    So by my calculations you're only spinning at around 48.5 RPMs to achieve this 15 mph. That is using the 44 -11 gear combo doing 15 mph on my gear calc, since you are asking for a higher tooth count for the big ring. To do 17mph you would only need to increase your spin to 55 RPMs with the 44-11 /104 gear inches combo. Personally I can't believe anyone would ride long distances spinning that low in that gear combo
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics