mtbr member

22 and 24 teeth inner chainring

Just wondering what the benefit of a 24 teeth ring would be. Is it all just preference? Pros and Cons?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    22 tooth chainrings are generally used in Microdrive units (Most drivetrains are Micro's these days).

24 tooth chainrings are primarily used in standard drive units.

I can see positives for both.

24's - might last a little longer and will chain suck less

22's - are lighter and with a 34 rear cassette offers a lower gear ratio.

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    I put a 26T granny on. I know, you're talking 22T or 24T, but I did this for a reason that may apply to your question.

The 22T is too small, creating too large a jump in gearing from the 32T in my usage. The 26T reduces this jump in gearing. I generally use the granny very little, only on technical, steep sections. Dropping from the 32T to the 22T ring often results in too easy a gear combo unless I also shift the rear. The 26T is "just right" in my usage. YMMV.

So, using a 24T would have similar effect, just not as extreme. Not everyone wants or needs the, IMO, radically small 22T granny.

jeff

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    Just wondering what the benefit of a 24 teeth ring would be. Is it all just preference? Pros and Cons?
    Gearing options. Use what works for you.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I see, that's cool then. Yeah i do find that a 22 granny can feel a little too low, and that's with 32 at the rear (can't imagine what it would be like once i get a 11-34 cassette).

But i ask about the possible reason for having 24 as oppose to 22 because i just bought a crankset with a 24 teeth inner ring, and it was such a good deal but didn't have the 22 teeth version. I ended up buying it anyway so i'm just thinking if it's worth changing out the ring. At this point i think i will stay with the 24.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    With a lot of the trails I ride, it seems there's never time to pedal more than a second or two at a time, what with all the twists, rollers, and obstacles. I find I'm on the granny all the time, because I do better putting in a full spin or two (usually approaching the apex of a roller) when I get the chance than I do by just mashing down for a half crank. But a 22 is just a bit to slow- leads to a lot of cross-chaining. A 24 (or 26) seems about right. I could get a similar effect by running something like a 12-27 Ultegra in the rear with a 20 or 22t granny, but I prefer to run larger rings and cogs for durability, despite the weight penalty. Plus, having a 11-34 on the back gives me a WIDE range with just the rear der, avoiding front der shifts which simply aren't practical when you only crank a few revs at a time. Spin the 24-30 as I crest the apex, then slam down to the 24-13 as I roll to the bottom...

mtbr member
    Hmm, i just received my crankset and it turns out to be a 22 teeth inner ring, or so it says on the ring. But on the product web page it said 24... a bit misleading and i was kind of starting to like the idea of going up to a 24. But that's not the real issue here as it turns out...

After taking out the left crank arm, i found a few dings on it! ...on my new, unridden xtr crank arm! It was the last one they had in stock too (and there's no indication that it will be restocked), so i don't know if they can replace it. FKHDSSFKDHFKDFHHSDFJHFSDF

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    Hmm, i just received my crankset and it turns out to be a 22 teeth inner ring, or so it says on the ring. But on the product web page it said 24... a bit misleading and i was kind of starting to like the idea of going up to a 24. But that's not the real issue here as it turns out...

After taking out the left crank arm, i found a few dings on it! ...on my new, unridden xtr crank arm! It was the last one they had in stock too (and there's no indication that it will be restocked), so i don't know if they can replace it. FKHDSSFKDHFKDFHHSDFJHFSDF
    Were you planning on riding it or looking at it?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Were you planning on riding it or looking at it?
    It would be nice to have these cranks come without any dings or marks, but i'm particularly concern about whether this may be or lead to structural damage in any way. I can get over it if it's just cosmetic damage. Please have a look at my new thread i posted with images of the crank arm: Just received XTR cranks, found some dings on it, possible damage?