mtbr member

2012 Shimano XT 2x10 Cranks

I have not had the privilege of seeing these cranks in person yet (the joys of living in NZ, where we get everything last). Looking at pictures of them, it looks (although this may be wishful thinking on my behalf) as though the spider is removable. Can anyone confirm this?

I am looking to get a spider-less crank for single speeding, and have had previously had good experiences with Shimano...

mtbr member
    I'm waiting on mine (they're being delivered while I'm on vacation, it's killing me). If no one else replies by next weekend, I'll open mine up and take some pictures for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I am looking to get a spider-less crank for single speeding, and have had previously had good experiences with Shimano...
    For the uneducated/uninformed newb, could you explain why getting rid of the spider is a benefit? Is it because you use only the 64 BCD/granny position for your single chain ring (if so, then a simple yes will suffice as this makes sense!).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    I'm waiting on mine (they're being delivered while I'm on vacation, it's killing me). If no one else replies by next weekend, I'll open mine up and take some pictures for you.
    Thanks joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    For the uneducated/uninformed newb, could you explain why getting rid of the spider is a benefit? Is it because you use only the 64 BCD/granny position for your single chain ring (if so, then a simple yes will suffice as this makes sense!).
    For me, weight savings and aesthetics. If you want examples, look at the HbC banner at the top of the page (the XO crank run spider-less). Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    In the photos it looks like the M785 spider is separate from the crankarms, but this was true for the M770 crankset too, and it didn't have a removable spider, right? It's probably just the way it is manufactured.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Shimano XT 2x10 Cranks-xt-double.jpg  

2012 Shimano XT 2x10 Cranks-m770.jpg  

mtbr member
    Judging from this exploded diagram on shimano.com, the spider is fixed to the crank arm. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    It also give you more choices for running a smaller front chainring. 31 or 30 tooth is about the smallest you can get on a 104-bcd chainring. Without the spider, you can go as small as you want, while still keeping the correct chainline.

mtbr member
    @jabaru - that was what it looked like to me.

@joe - good find. Looks like it is back to SRAM then. reps to you

mtbr member
    Thanks, right back atcha.