mtbr member

2011 X9 won't shift to 11t cog

Situation: I own a 2006 Racer-X frame and I'm changing out my old and decrepit 3x9 drive train for 2x10. In the process, i have new x9 shifters, new x9 RD, new PG 1050 cassette, new 2x10 crank, all new cables and housing, even a new derailleur hanger. Everything is new except for the rear wheel and frame.

Problem: For the life of me i cannot get the RD to align with the 11t cog.

B screw is set, L limit screw is set for the large cog, and the H screw is completely loosened and it will not align. Not even close. Not even when i pull the cable off. When i put a chain on it, it will skip btw the 11t and 12t cogs with preferrence for the 12. If i put it in the 11t and spin backwards it stays in the 11.

Solution?: I'm about to go out and get a 10mm washer and use as a spacer for the RD, but wondered if anyone else has had similar issues with 2x10 RD on older frames. I mean something could be slightly out of wack on the droppouts or the rear hub. But the cassette is tight and no problems putting the wheel in the frame so i figure a washer is my only option but it seems like this would be something Sram would note.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2 issues before you try washers:

Check if there are any burrs, paint chips, grit etc between the hanger and the frame which will push the hanger further in.

New hangers aren't necessarily perfect - check this too
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm currently in the midst of the same exact issue. Except my x9 parts and xx cassette worked perfectly on a different frame. Upon swapping everything over to a new frame last night I can't get the chain to drop to the 11. Everything but the frame is constant, so it must be the frame or the hanger for me. My frame came with a spare hanger so I'll try that tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I'm currently in the midst of the same exact issue. Except my x9 parts and xx cassette worked perfectly on a different frame. Upon swapping everything over to a new frame last night I can't get the chain to drop to the 11. Everything but the frame is constant, so it must be the frame or the hanger for me. My frame came with a spare hanger so I'll try that tonight.
    I doubt you need to replace your hanger. It's more likely you just need to check and adjust the alignment. From what I've been told, the new hanger would need to be adjusted after it's installed anyway, so if the old one is still in good shape just align it. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    ...Everything but the frame is constant, so it must be the frame or the hanger for me...
    Everything but the frame and installation that is. Are you sure the shifter wasn't one click off when you connected the cable to the derailleur?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Are you sure the shifter wasn't one click off when you connected the cable to the derailleur?
    Very sure. The RD moves to the position, just not far enough. And yes,, the limit screw is all the way out.

mtbr member
    Not every hanger is the same thickness, especially when you compare aluminum to steel. There can also be slight variation between hubs in where the cassette sits relative to the locknut.

From other problems I've seen reported on this forum it appears that SRAM derailleurs aren't designed with as much "extra" movement beyond some assumed first cog position so when all those other tolerances stack up some people run into problems. The easiest solution to this issue is a thin washer between the RD and the hanger to move it further outboard.

This may not apply to your situation, but myself and others have had warranty issues with "sticky" pivots on SRAM derailleurs. Mine still moved into the correct home position though, the issue was that it would catch when shifting into that position and I would have to nudge it past that point to complete the movement into the first position.

mtbr member
    my X9 RD is doing this exact same thing...it will have a very hard time going into 11t....it will shift up and down the cog, NP...but it still takes a while for it to jump down to 11.

Is it safe to use a washer to use a washer between the RD and hanger? About how thick should it be you think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HighLife420 View Post
    my X9 RD is doing this exact same thing...it will have a very hard time going into 11t....it will shift up and down the cog, NP...but it still takes a while for it to jump down to 11.

Is it safe to use a washer to use a washer between the RD and hanger? About how thick should it be you think?
    Double-check everything with the cable removed, and even with the chain removed too. If it can make it all the way under the 11t but hesitates to do so or requires a nudge send it in for warranty replacement because the pivots are probably binding. If it just can't move far enough over no matter what, measure what the required difference is and shim it at least that much. I'm not sure anyone will be able to give you an official answer about shim sizes, but I doubt even 3mm should be a problem as long as the bolt still threads in the hanger enough and the b-screw still contacts properly

mtbr member
    i can nudge it and it will fall into place...it just seems to get kinda caught up, shifts under pressure or when i push the rd outwards.

mtbr member
    SRAM is going to replace it for me. Didn't ask any questions either, told my buddy (manager at my LBS) exactly what it was doing, showed him, contacted them this morning and just called me to let me know they are going to replace it. He is going to give me one from another store and replace it when they send him my new one. Damn shame it didnt last very long. Not one hit on it, not even a scratch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HighLife420 View Post
    SRAM is going to replace it for me. Didn't ask any questions either, told my buddy (manager at my LBS) exactly what it was doing, showed him, contacted them this morning and just called me to let me know they are going to replace it. He is going to give me one from another store and replace it when they send him my new one. Damn shame it didnt last very long. Not one hit on it, not even a scratch.
    Good to hear; that's how you always hope these things turn out. The issue with these is a manufacturing defect, not a durability issue. My bad one did it straight out of the box, and my replacement has been trouble free since then even with some rock strikes

mtbr member
    Ya, thanks for the info boom..