mtbr member

2011 Sram X7 trigger shifter not working right

This started as a feeling of "not-right"-ness in my rear shifting a couple days ago, but then I started to pay more attention…

When I try to shift to a higher gear the lever clicks but the gear doesn't change. (My thumb can even tell that the gear won't change.) I can tap-tap-tap the lever and eventually it goes.

Shifting lower usually works, but sometimes when I push that lever it just moves with no apparent tension on it at all (and of course no actual shifting). I can try again and it will work fine.

One thing I've loved about this bike is that the shifting has always been flawless. Now I'm frustrated. I have a local time trial on Friday and a series race on Sunday.

Suggestions?

I had my husband take a look at it. I was hoping he'd say "Oh, it's just…" and I'd learn some basic bike maintenance. Now I hope he'll make a follow-up post with more detail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I guess that is my cue to make a follow-up. So I have fiddled with barrel adjuster, added some small drops of lube to all the pivots of the derailleur, also lubed the cable where it goes into the housing and still nada.

The issue seems to be in the shifter itself. It feels like the mechanism sometimes just doesn't fully release to complete a gear shift. The first click when pressing to shift to a higher/faster gear happens, but the second click that should happen just as the thumb is released doesn't happen. When it is stuck like that, if I yank on the derailleur then the second click happens and the shift occurs. Kinda sounds like a sticky derailleur or cable, but I am still guessing it is in the shifter. Reason being it seems to depend on how hard or soft the shifter lever is pressed. If I press it just gently enough to release it, then no shift. If I press it really hard "rapid fire" like then it will usually work.

That being said, I did what you aren't suppose to do and I took apart the shifter. That little coil spring in there is a pain to get back in. But as I looked around gently inside the shifter nothing immediately looked broken or worn, but then again I don't have any idea what a perfectly working mechanism looks like. There was some dirt and grime in there, but just not much that would seem to be causing this issue. For good measure I added some light oil in there. Once I got it all back together, still same problem as before.

Worn out cable? Worn out mechanism? Pathetic excuse to buy some new components?

I am stumped.

29er
    Apr 2010
    sounds like improper cable tension

One Gear
    Check to see if the shifter case is contacting the brake. Pressure on the case will cause it to malfunction. I had a left side, front derailleur shifter act all kinds of screwy. I bought a new one and had the same problem. Moved the brake lever out of the way to look at it and it worked fine.

If there's a race soon, take it to a shop.

Good luck

mtbr member
    "Take it to a shop," for the win.

They replaced it. Now it works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Maybe take a look at reviews. There seems to be reliability issues with poor CS.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The problem with the X7 Shifter is that there is a little piece of round metal plate in there that has teeth in order to hold the shift. That part is made out of "stamped metal", which means that it is not so precise. There is another piece of metal that "grip" onto the smaller teeth slot to move that part to up shift. Because of the quality of stamped plate, the grip is not so good, and you might not be able to shift up.

My initial problem is that I can never up shift to second gear from the lowest.

My solution is to file certain teeth to made it sharper that has better grip. After I done the "mod", I have zero problem on my X7.

mtbr member
    ongbenghui, thanks for the advice. I don't have the part anymore to take a look at. The shop sent it back to Sram under warranty.

socalscott, my shop upgraded me to an X9 shifter (cause that's what they had in stock), the shop got reimbursed from Sram, and I'm not out any dough, so I'm happy with the customer service all around.

Plays with tools
    For future reference, the easiest way to check for a bum shifter is to remove the derailure from the situation. Un-hook the cable and put tension on it with your hand near the shifter. Then it's pretty easy to see if the shifter is bad or if it's something else.