mtbr member

2010 Blackspire m970x super pro

Looking for the 36/24 combo with 11-34 cogset for the 29er. Do i need spacers?

MTB B'dos
    Why would you need spacers, the rings are made to be used together, FYI the Super Pro rings are 5mm thick so if you try to use one with another normal 3 or 4mm thick ring you'll have issues. BTW, I love all my Blackspire setup cranks - 24/38 double on the FS 29er and 34/46 on the rigid 29er commuter/roadie.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    What kind of Blackspire rings you have? You mean i just need to remove old chainrings and replace it with new? Sounds pretty easy. Where did you get yours?

MTB B'dos
    I run the SUPER PROs and I got them from Larry@MtnHighCyclery.com he'll give you any help you need and will know for sure if there's anything special about using them on the 970 cranks. You can also find them from various online e-tailers, but to be honest, Larry's price was better as far as I remember and he has the knowledge base if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by j69nx
    What kind of Blackspire rings you have? You mean i just need to remove old chainrings and replace it with new? Sounds pretty easy. Where did you get yours?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Blackspire has released this new for this year specific for 970. Kinda excited to see. Do you pics on your 29er?

mtbr member
    I just bought 38/26 combo from Blackspire today. I need help to adjust the limiter or such.

11 is one louder than 10
    For those that have done this, I'm assuming the 38 ring sets up in the middle ring space. It is heavily ramped and pinned like the shimano rings?

Thanks, I'm kicking around a 38/24 combo
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

MTB B'dos
    For me, that's how I set it up and I think most others as well. Bit of a big gapo for me going 24 to 38, so the shift is a bit slower, but nothing major - the only time I want a quick shift on the front is going down, not going up anyways. I'm guessing going to a 2 ring specific FD like 1 of the road ones built for that sort of jump would work better, but really I'm not interested as it doesn't bug me.

YES it's ramped and pinned.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    For those that have done this, I'm assuming the 38 ring sets up in the middle ring space. It is heavily ramped and pinned like the shimano rings?

Thanks, I'm kicking around a 38/24 combo
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I have same option on the front mech. We will see. I will post pics once arrived.

11 is one louder than 10
    I suppose the other concern I have will be chainstay clearance on my Tallboy. I know that some of the lower q-factor XX cranks will not clear the chainstay, I'm wondering if that 38 would clear on the XTR cranks.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

MTB B'dos
    Those XX cranks have some super narrow chainline options, the XTR is standard 50mm chainline, so I'd have to imagine you'll be fine. I'm sure there are others running TBs that are running double setups than can give better answers - did you ask in the SC forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    I suppose the other concern I have will be chainstay clearance on my Tallboy. I know that some of the lower q-factor XX cranks will not clear the chainstay, I'm wondering if that 38 would clear on the XTR cranks.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Why would you need spacers, the rings are made to be used together, FYI the Super Pro rings are 5mm thick so if you try to use one with another normal 3 or 4mm thick ring you'll have issues. BTW, I love all my Blackspire setup cranks - 24/38 double on the FS 29er and 34/46 on the rigid 29er commuter/roadie.
    How about bb issues? Some ppl say add bb spacers. The small (26t) chainring doesn't rub in my Superfly frame. I'm gonna bring it to my LBS for tweaking today.

MTB B'dos
    I'm sorry, I tried to make sense of this but just can't Are you saying the 26t granny is rubbing the stay or not? All depends on your frame I guess, I never had trouble with a 24t ring, which is only a 2 teeth jump, going 26t could be frame dependant. If you wanted to adjust the chainline out some if since you're only using a double, yes you could do that using a spacer, bt just remember you'll be widening the Q-factor and running the cranks un-evenly which might have an effect on you or not.

How about bb issues? Some ppl say add bb spacers. The small (26t) chainring doesn't rub in my Superfly frame. I'm gonna bring it to my LBS for tweaking today.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    My front mech has a big gap in my big ring. Its 38/26. Is there any dual front mech top pull available. I see no road mech compatible? Considering Shimano SLX dcr but the biggest it can accomodate is 36teeth. It shifts ok but very temperimental. What are my options there?

mtbr member
    I need help with pictures. gulp.

mtbr member
    Ugggh, I need help with pics

mtbr member

pics

Here They Are!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Blackspire m970x super pro-ssc_0147.jpg  

2010 Blackspire m970x super pro-ssc_0148.jpg  

2010 Blackspire m970x super pro-ssc_0144.jpg  

2010 Blackspire m970x super pro-ssc_0145.jpg  

2010 Blackspire m970x super pro-ssc_0146.jpg  

MTB B'dos

Nothing wrong there

What's the issue here? I don't see any Seriously, this is one thing that loads of people try to do when they move to a dual ring setup that they shouldn't - YOU SHOULD NOT try to move the FD down from where it was. If you increase the size of the granny ring set the FD up for this and then whatever is. If you don't believe me, you can check out ,my dual ring 24/38 setup in the pic below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Blackspire m970x super pro-dual-ring-setup.jpg  

2010 Blackspire m970x super pro-p1040840.jpg  

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    It's all good Lynx. Shifting is different. A little rubbing issue with the smaller ring cuz of the longer cage FD in higher gears. So far with my 2 rides about 30 miles, i'm impressed.

mtbr member

Cross clamp with cable pulley

I think i found my solution to my front mech issues.

http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/noname4.html

MTB B'dos
    If you really want that thing setup perfect do some browsing around for others setups on the SF CF, check the racing forum and maybe consider one of the XX dual FDs - they're made to match several gear combos, just need to get the right one and shifter to match. For me it's a non issue since I don't race and if I need a quick ring change it's normally going from the 38 to the 24 and that works absolutely fantastic. FYI I get no rubbing unless I cross chain and run like granny-7
    I think i found my solution to my front mech issues.

http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/noname4.html
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So on the Shimano XTR FC-M970 cranks, the Blackspire Super Pro rings work OK for the middle and big ring? What about the granny? Do you have to use the Blackspire SuperPro M970X?

mtbr member
    you need to find chain ring bolts to play with. I think some guy in the other forum was suggesting what size mm. I switched to sram xx after the season.