mtbr member

2007 SRAM or Shimano Prices?

Any info on this? I searched and couldn't find anything so either I'm missing it or it's not out yet. Thanks.

mtbr member

How Long Did It Take You to Adapt to X.O Shifters from Shimano?

Was this a smooth transition going to all 'thumbs'?

How did you get around accidental shifts with the thumb paddle so close to your grip?

It feels awkward when I try it on the bikes in the shop and almost like I won't be able to shift was fast.

As you can see from some of my other posts, I am gettn ready to build a new bike. My hang up is drivetrain and it really comes down to the triggers. I'm on LX triggers now and I see the new XTR have adjustments like X.O. I'm comfortable with the shimano shifting so I'm concerned about the change.

Feedback, without brand bashing, would be great. Just want to know how well the transition worked (or didn't work).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Easy to switch, harder to switch back

I bought a FS bike this year with X.0 triggers after riding my hardtail with old style XTR trigger shifters for 3 years, and can honestly say the transition was seamless. One thing I have noticed is that I can much more easily reach both paddles without moving my hands on the X.0 than with XTR. With the XTR shifters, I would often shift my hand slightly to get to the trigger with my index finger. It wasn't something I noticed doing before, but now I notice it everytime I ride the hardtail.

I also like the more mechanical feel of the shifts with SRAM. Much like a Campy-equiped road bike, there is a distinct tactile feel to each shift that Shimano has moved away from with "light-action", etc.

Giggitty giggitty!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    Was this a smooth transition going to all 'thumbs'?

How did you get around accidental shifts with the thumb paddle so close to your grip?

It feels awkward when I try it on the bikes in the shop and almost like I won't be able to shift was fast.

As you can see from some of my other posts, I am gettn ready to build a new bike. My hang up is drivetrain and it really comes down to the triggers. I'm on LX triggers now and I see the new XTR have adjustments like X.O. I'm comfortable with the shimano shifting so I'm concerned about the change.

Feedback, without brand bashing, would be great. Just want to know how well the transition worked (or didn't work).

Thanks.
    I personally have tried the X0 and X9 and could not get used to the shifter. I kept hitting the release trigger with my thumb knuckle. I repositioned the levers a couple times but it never changed, so I decided not to switch over.

Like most other people will say (without bashing the company itself), it comes down to personal preference (trigger vs. gripshit. vs. dual control). I will personally be getting new XTR because I really love dual control and think the new ones are smokin' hot!!