mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2006 SRAM Cassettes

Has anyone tried the new Red Allow spidered SRAM cassetes? Wondering specifically about the PG-990. How does it compare to XTR performance wise at roughly half the price? I have a Cycle Dynamics right now, but the price is getting a bit absurd.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    Has anyone tried the new Red Allow spidered SRAM cassetes? Wondering specifically about the PG-990. How does it compare to XTR performance wise at roughly half the price? I have a Cycle Dynamics right now, but the price is getting a bit absurd.
    Pretty much the same as an XT. weight, price, and peformance.

6 of one / half a dozen of the other.

hands up who wants to die
    Who has enough miles on the new SRAM cassette to claim that it lasts as long as the XT? That is the real test, in my mind. Cassettes are so expensive nowadays...

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have one. Like xl_cheese, I can't tell any difference between it and a XT cassette - which is a good thing - imo. Both shift equally well. Both weigh about the same. Both cost about the same. The red is prettier than the silver on XT. Otherwise, I'd just buy whatever was on sale.

XTR is going to be a bit lighter, but it's always pained me to pay so much for a 'consumable' part.

I don't have enough miles on the SRAM cassette to speak to durability.

mtbr member
    My XT cassette pissed me off. Soon as I bought it (from PB) I snapped a tooth. PB took it back and sent me another one. 6 months later, I bend two teeth on it. Now its a paper weight. I am a XC rider so I am not sure what crap bunch I got because all my friends have XT's that are a couple years old.

I purchased the upper SRAM one (can't remember). Its been smooth sailing since.

mtbr member

Does the '06 PG990 Cassettes...

work well with shimano chains and cranksets? I'm looking into getting one myself, but wondering if there are any compatibility issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You only think you're different. In actuality you're just like everyone else who thinks they're different. As for your ranting on shimano it sounds more like you thrash and trash...then bash. Reviews based on a pissed off attitude rarely bare any resemblance to what really happened.

Just Ride
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatVibe1
    work well with shimano chains and cranksets? I'm looking into getting one myself, but wondering if there are any compatibility issues.
    Mtb cassettes are universal. There aren't any compatibility issues, however, if you wish to purchase a Sram 11/34 cassette, make sure you get the 06 model since the 05 models had a big gap going from the 34 cog to the next cog which is a 28. Other that that, everything else will work just fine.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    My XT cassette pissed me off. Soon as I bought it (from PB) I snapped a tooth. PB took it back and sent me another one. 6 months later, I bend two teeth on it. Now its a paper weight. I am a XC rider so I am not sure what crap bunch I got because all my friends have XT's that are a couple years old.

I purchased the upper SRAM one (can't remember). Its been smooth sailing since.
    Bummer on the cassette. If YOU'RE going to yell, at least spell it correctly.

Monte

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    How did you snap the teeth on the cassette? Through normal riding? Crash or twig or anything like that?

Who else gets errors when trying a search on the forums. I get it about 95% of the time.