mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2006 specialized P3 - is BB custom?

I am hoping someone has delt with this particular bike, because it seems to be a really unique setup. (my bike is setup with the stock parts)
    My mechanic cannot get a new BB to work on the bike, something odd with the chain line.

I ordered the Truvativ Howitzer Team BB which the bike is spec'd for, between the two 73mm shell options of a 51CL and 56 CL, I got the 56CL. However the mechanic says it still needs another cm.
    He believes he will need to special order a wider spindle to get the chain line correct

No one at SRAM or specialized has been able to clarify what exactly the bike needs, both he and I have called. I think its just because its a 6 year old model, they dont have the exact size specs.

My bike has been in limbo for about a month now and im. going. nuts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you have a 2006 specialized P2 or P3 (frames are the same) It would be incredibly helpful if you could measure your chain line for me.

It is likely going to be around 56-57mm OR 66mm

remember, chain line is measured from the center of the frame to the center line of the chain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I believe the 06 has the 6mm offset rear triangle.

My 07 has it and came with a 50mm howitzer. My fat ass would flex the cranks into the chainstay they were so close. I ended up switching to a 56mm cl howitzer to get a decent chainline. Are you running gears? With the 56mm my chain ring was just about smack in the middle of the cassette. I converted it to single speed with a dmr kit and the chainline is just about perfect. If you're trying to use a single speed specific hub then the offset triangle is probably what's hanging you up. I'd stick with a converted cassette hub. Mines been like that for 2 years no with no problems.

Andy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks Andy, sounds like 56 should work, what crankset are you running with it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They're some older holzfellers, probably from 06 or 07. I'd found them on clearance when the splines on the stock cranks got too chewed up from the bolts constantly coming loose. I've never had a problem with the bolts coming out on the holzfellers.

Andy