mtbr member
    Nov 2009

2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+

Hello:
    I need some suggestions, and I'm sure there will be many when I get done describing the issue.

My brother has a 2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ which he has owned since it was new.
    He "has not" maintained it very well and recently wanted to start riding trails. Well he has a problem with the chain skipping in "second gear" in back. We have replaced the cassette, and chain because both were trashed. I completely cleaned the new chain and relubed it with Boeshield T-9. We went out yesterday to ride (first time on the trail for the new parts), and the first thing that happened the chain skipped, then a moment later it "broke."
    We ended up having to remove two links and put it back together.
    After that it continued to skip in second regardless of which ring he was in up front.

I think maybe his problem could be multiple things after reading some other posts.
    "FreeWheel Pawls, Rear Week Spokes, Rear Wheel Dish," and finally possible loose pivot
    in the rear swing arm (possibly more). Like I said he didn't really bother to do much maintenance on it. There was a ton of buldup on the rear derailleur pulleys, and the derailleur itself has a significant amount of play in it.
    Where should I start looking? Freewheel pawls in hub? How best to check that?
    His is a 9 speed. I have some old8 speed wheels at home that are in much better shape than his, will the hub work for a nine speed?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Just a flesh wound

Bent teeth

If it only happens in 2'nd on the cassette then I will vote for bent teeth or a bent cog. If it were the other issues, it would be happening in other gears as well, but checking the cassette and hub for play is important.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    If it only happens in 2'nd on the cassette then I will vote for bent teeth or a bent cog. If it were the other issues, it would be happening in other gears as well, but checking the cassette and hub for play is important.
    Brand new cassette & chain.

Just a flesh wound

Ok

I read the original post more carefully. Does it skip all the time in second or just occasionally? When he broke the chain, I am guessing that he was late to a downshift for a hill and put too much pressure on the chain while it was crossed on the cassette. He may have bent the cog when he broke the chain. It's not too hard to straighten it out. I see all the other issues you brought up as being equally bad for all the gear combinations. To have it isolated to just 2'nd, regardless of chainring selection, makes this seem specific to the cassette. It could be a bent 1'st or 3'rd as well. Look down at the cassette with the bike in a stand or something that allows you to watch the rotation of the cassette and see if you notice any wobble.

Good luck!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I read the original post more carefully. Does it skip all the time in second or just occasionally? When he broke the chain, I am guessing that he was late to a downshift for a hill and put too much pressure on the chain while it was crossed on the cassette. He may have bent the cog when he broke the chain. It's not too hard to straighten it out. I see all the other issues you brought up as being equally bad for all the gear combinations. To have it isolated to just 2'nd, regardless of chainring selection, makes this seem specific to the cassette. It could be a bent 1'st or 3'rd as well. Look down at the cassette with the bike in a stand or something that allows you to watch the rotation of the cassette and see if you notice any wobble.

Good luck!
    I'll check it out,will let you know. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Good luck!
    I'll check it out,will let you know. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The cogs are fine, there is some slop in the derailleur itself, and the cables are 10 years old.
    We are going to have the derailleur hanger checked because he said he has "laid it down" a couple of times.
    The bike itself looks good, but I know having changed the cassette and chain that that chain wasn't cleaned since it was new. Here is the kicker. We changed the cassette and chain because it was skipping before thinking that would fix it. It only skips under heavy load, and only in second gear. It doesn't matter which ring you are in up front.
    I am leaning toward the derailleur hanger, cables, or lastly the freewheel pawls. The fact that it is Full Suspension adds it's own set of issues (possibly).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhosinski View Post
    The cogs are fine, there is some slop in the derailleur itself, and the cables are 10 years old.
    We are going to have the derailleur hanger checked because he said he has "laid it down" a couple of times.
    The bike itself looks good, but I know having changed the cassette and chain that that chain wasn't cleaned since it was new. Here is the kicker. We changed the cassette and chain because it was skipping before thinking that would fix it. It only skips under heavy load, and only in second gear. It doesn't matter which ring you are in up front.
    I am leaning toward the derailleur hanger, cables, or lastly the freewheel pawls. The fact that it is Full Suspension adds it's own set of issues (possibly).

It may not be your problem, but change the cables. You can get cables for less than $10 on amazon. The cables are definitely stretched and may be binding inside the housing, causing poor shifting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    It may not be your problem, but change the cables. You can get cables for less than $10 on amazon. The cables are definitely stretched and may be binding inside the housing, causing poor shifting.
    I discussed that with him last night. I read here that worn cables on FS bikes can cause shifting problems (i.e. a partial shift when the rear suspension is actuated)?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I had a red Sugar 3,I liked the thing just fine till it was stolen out of my ft room in the middle of the day while I went to lunch. As far as driveline issues,pretty much all of it needs to be fresh and tight to make all the happy noises it should,no slop anywhere is a good thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbasher View Post
    I had a red Sugar 3,I liked the thing just fine till it was stolen out of my ft room in the middle of the day while I went to lunch. As far as driveline issues,pretty much all of it needs to be fresh and tight to make all the happy noises it should,no slop anywhere is a good thing.
    Sorry to hear about your bike. This one needs some TLC, but we'll nurse it back to health.

Thanks