mtbr member
    Sep 2004

2 x 9 Setup help???

I am looking at going to a two x 9 setup. I have a couple of questions first. I am looking at the middleburn RS8 Duo. The only other alternative that I know of is the Extralite fishbones but they don't come in 175 or even 172.5 anymore. Are there any others that I am missing? Has anyone had longterm experience with the RS8 or RS7? What front derailleur works best with this setup? Am I reading right that my regular shifter will work if I adjust my derailleur? Any imput would be a help

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    FSA also makes a 2by9 setup, check out their website fullspeedahead.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sorry, doesnt seem they have it on there right now. Saw it at the SEA otter though, looked nice and light

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Anyone?

Can anyone share some knowledge?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I thought Ritchey did 2x9 as well. Maybe the compact road bolt pattern won't work for you? WRT front mechs, any one will work. For the shifter, Ritchey again, although I prefer to run a Gripshift front. It's suitable for 3 rings, for 2+bashguard (my setup), or 2x9.
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    FSA does have the Afterburner 2x9 instock, atleast they did a couple of months ago.

Race Face Next LP: Find the 94/58 version used on Ebay w/isis bb. This is the setup that I use. 29/42 Cannondale, FSA, Boone and Specialties TA all make the 29t middle ring.

Extralight has their new intergrated version available. 30t granny, best to buy a 42 elsewhere. I would have gone this option if it was available when I built my bike early this spring. I'm using the intergrated XTR cranks.

FRM has an intergrated 2x9 which can be purchased at notubes.com.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Am I missing something here? What's the big deal?

You run a bashguard on the outer position, set the travel limits on the front derr to prevent overshifing, perhaps add a spacer to the BB to shift the chainline to the right slightly and call it a day. The new Megarange cassettes mimic the old Ritchey 2x9 by offering an 11-34.

Or if this is intended for racing/higher speeds and you just want to loose the small chainring then forget the bashguard and shoot for the smallest second ring you can find. A change to a slightly narrower bottom bracket will set the chainline inwards slighty to balance it all out, set the front derr. stops agian and that's it. The front shifter just doesn't use more than the two positions but it still works just fine.

I used a 2x9 Ritchey setup on a commuter bike I had and found that the twist grip shifter worked nicer since with the chainline angles it was nice to trim the front with a click here and there to avoid rubbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    derailleur type doesn't matter. neither do the shifters. my cannondale came modified by them so it only has two clicks but my other bike with xtr was a three clicks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am having some 2x9 issues as well. I can't seem to get my Cannondale Si setup tuned right. I "think" I like it as I have good climbing power but when I'm tired I oh so wish I had the bailout gear.

I had a friend oh mine adjust my XT dual control shifter to the highside and then locked out the low somwhow... so I guess it CAN be done... its just now my chainrings are hosed and I am looking for the most extreme sizes I can get. I think currently I have the stock 29/44-43... cant remember.

I was also told that I could change the cassette to get some more topend... I guess by going down a tooth on the small gear? I think 12-11...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have been using the Truvativ Hussefelt cranks for the last 2 years and have no issues.

Two years ago the chainring set up was 28-38-RG with Rock Guard

Late last year they went to 24-36-PC with Poly Carbonate
    and a 22-32-PC

I bought the 24-36-PC a couple of months ago. Popped it on and I'm off riding. No issues to problems No troubles.

I beat the snot out of the first one I bought and only got the newer one because I freind of mine wanted to try it out and ended up liking it so I sold him the old one and I got the newer one.

I'm not much on saving weight so I always get a Downhill BB. Truvativ's Downhill BB is Awesone 4 huge bearings and smooth

Hopefully you get this in time... If you have any quesitons drop me a line

xboxdrive@gmail.com

Later Scoop Burt