mtbr member
    Jan 2005

2 X 9, 32T 44T and bashguard?

with the traditional cranks out there, is this possible...does anybody know if they make a 32T to fit where the granny does?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Do-able with a 110/74 crank.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Do-able with a 110/74 crank.
    i'm still hittin the internet...it appears as though they make a 104-64 crank spider...this would do the trick...imagine the front derrailer will have to be adjusted

so it might be possible, the spider was listed as $30...will be buying a new crank system

i bet i'll miss the granny sometimes
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm Running a 42t/28t with a complete E-13 SRS (two ring guide) with out any trouble...

well i do have a 110/74 spider and i'm pretty sure will not be possible with a 104mm since they don't make really big granny rings above 28t(I beleive) but i'm pretty sure you can find Big 74mm chainrings since Tandems and touring bikes use them, i think up to 34T.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    i'm still hittin the internet...it appears as though they make a 104-64 crank spider...this would do the trick...imagine the front derrailer will have to be adjusted

so it might be possible, the spider was listed as $30...will be buying a new crank system

i bet i'll miss the granny sometimes
    I ran a 2x7, 45/28 x 12-34 for 2-3 years. Never ran out of gears on either end. I lowered the gearing once and my climbing got worse.

I find it strange the a 22x32-34 low is considered barely low enough these days. A 24x32 was plenty low 15-20 years ago. A 24x28 low was fairly common, too. SunTour's first MicroDrive had a 20x24 low, then went to 20x28 with 8-speed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I ran a 2x7, 45/28 x 12-34 for 2-3 years. Never ran out of gears on either end. I lowered the gearing once and my climbing got worse.

I find it strange the a 22x32-34 low is considered barely low enough these days. A 24x32 was plenty low 15-20 years ago. A 24x28 low was fairly common, too. SunTour's first MicroDrive had a 20x24 low, then went to 20x28 with 8-speed.
    so the idea of running only two chainrings up front is nothing new...now that i think about it, when i was growing up, all road bike only had two chainrings...so i guess history repeats itself

i'll post any success finding that spider gear for my 104 crank

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto
    I'm Running a 42t/28t with a complete E-13 SRS (two ring guide) with out any trouble...

well i do have a 110/74 spider and i'm pretty sure will not be possible with a 104mm since they don't make really big granny rings above 28t(I beleive) but i'm pretty sure you can find Big 74mm chainrings since Tandems and touring bikes use them, i think up to 34T.
    yeah, shiggy mentioned that if i get a 110/74 crank...then i can run to 'large' rings and a bashguard cleanly...but i don't have this crank

i think a 28/42 by nine will be enough gears...climbing will take more out of me