mtbr member
    Aug 2010

1x9 with twist shifter?

Anyone have a 1x9 setup with a twist shifter? If so, please post some photos of your handlebar setup. I'm considering doing this with an X.0 shifter and ODI Rogue short lock-on grip on the right, and ODI Rogue standard length lock-on grip on the left, but wondering if this will feel strange out on the trail with the different length grips.

mtbr member
    I don't have any pictures, but I ran a 1x9 with a X0 twistie for a while. I used a cut-down ESI Chunky that was almost exactly the same diameter as the shifter. I really liked that setup and the twist shifter worked great

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Depends.

I had the same setup on a used bike I bought. The X.0 shifter was a little sticky and "plasticky", but then again I bought it used so no way to tell if that shittiness was normal. The short grip shouldn't be a problem, but it depends on how you ride. I wouldn't suggest a twist shifter if you need to pull up on the bars to get over obstacles often or do any sort of jumping. If you're not careful you can accidentally shift which is a pain. I swapped the X.0 twist out for an X.9 trigger shifter with some new ODI's and it was way better. Much smoother and more confident shifts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMga View Post
    I had the same setup on a used bike I bought. The X.0 shifter was a little sticky and "plasticky", but then again I bought it used so no way to tell if that shittiness was normal. The short grip shouldn't be a problem, but it depends on how you ride. I wouldn't suggest a twist shifter if you need to pull up on the bars to get over obstacles often or do any sort of jumping. If you're not careful you can accidentally shift which is a pain. I swapped the X.0 twist out for an X.9 trigger shifter with some new ODI's and it was way better. Much smoother and more confident shifts.
    I ride lots of techy stuff and I never had an accidental shift with the twistie. My normal hand position covered maybe 1/4" of the shifter, the rest of my hand was all on the stationary grip

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm used to twisties -- I've used Grip Shift since the early 90's and still have them on my old 26er hardtail. I already have a set of X.0 twist shifters, so I wanted to use the rear twist shifter instead of buying a new shifter. I was just concerned whether the uneven grip lengths would be an issue.

dirtbag
    I've got a Sachs grip shift front and Sram trigger rear shifters on my Interloc. Using short and long ODI Rogue grips with no issues.
    Amolan