I'm A Pedalphile

1x9 Short, mid, or long cage derailleur?

I am building up a 1x9 mountain bike with a 32 tooth front and an 11-32 rear cassette. My inclination is to use a small to mid cage rear derailleur, since there isn't a lot of chain slack, and I would rather run a shorter chain and tighter drivetrain.

Any thoughts?
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    a short cage should handle 21 teeth of difference. i'm not sure why you want to limit your gearing like that though since you're losing the gears you'd use for ultrasteep ultralong hills, along with the downhill/road gears.

...idios...
    "'m not sure why you want to limit your gearing like that though since you're losing the gears you'd use for ultrasteep ultralong hills, along with the downhill/road gears."

Do you mean by going 1x9 or by using a 32x11-32?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "'m not sure why you want to limit your gearing like that though since you're losing the gears you'd use for ultrasteep ultralong hills, along with the downhill/road gears."

Do you mean by going 1x9 or by using a 32x11-32?
    both i guess. as much as i hate front derailleurs, it's impossible to get good gearing for hilly terrain without 2 front rings. (unless you're way stronger than me and can maintain good cadence in a gear like 40/34 and then use 40/11 on the road and downhill).

I'm A Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettorider
    both i guess. as much as i hate front derailleurs, it's impossible to get good gearing for hilly terrain without 2 front rings. (unless you're way stronger than me and can maintain good cadence in a gear like 40/34 and then use 40/11 on the road and downhill).
    My mountain bike is a full suspension w/ a triple up front and 11-32 in the back. The bike I am building 1x9 is fully rigid and will be used for commuting, riding around town, and some off-roading. It's a bit hillier in Indiana, where I currently live, but I will be spending a good chunk of the summer where I grew up in Michigan. I will only be bringing the 1x9 with me for mountain biking while I am there, though, because I think I will be a better rider because of it. That said, I am running a 32 x 11-32, so my lowest gear is pretty low for hills.
    Bikes:

Rub it............
    A mid cage will work fine with a 1x9. The short cage will not be able to handle the 32 tooth big gear.

IIRC they can only handle up to a 27 tooth big gear. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

...idios...
    I have 34 to 11-32 with medium cage XT on my trail bike (Orange SubZero) and 36 to 12-27 with super-short cage Saint on my downhill (as in DH, not just going down a hill) bike (Big Hit). Taking the Big Hit out of the reckoning as it really is a dedicated descent bike, the Orange is very versatile with the 34T front ring. I've never found myself pushing up anything that other people are riding and don't ride anything with a long/smooth enough straight to top-out on. I ride singletrack with rocks, roots and drops, so the limits of my skills and my bike are reached long before that of my top gear. The fact that my mountain bike doesn't perform as well on the road isn't of even the smallest concern to me.

Anyone with interest (one way or the other!) in regards to 1x9 set-ups could do a lot worse than to peruse Indiefab's illustrious 1x9 thread?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    A mid cage will work fine with a 1x9. The short cage will not be able to handle the 32 tooth big gear.

IIRC they can only handle up to a 27 tooth big gear. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Not really, the cage is just that: how long the cage that the jockey pulley is on, which limits the amount of chain it can take up while still keeping the chain nice and tight.

I'm A Pedalphile
    From what I've read, the short cage will be more than adequate to take up the 21 tooth difference in chain tension (32-11) and will have slightly better shifting and less chain slap. I think i'll be going with a short cage sram x9 for my build.
    Bikes:

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Running xtr short cage 38x 34.

♥ ς╥33
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    Running xtr short cage 38x 34.
    I think the xtr short cage is really a medium cage correct me if im wrong, the short cages are the roadies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

maker of trail
    I have 3 1X9 bikes, with three different cage lengths haha

32 to 11-34 with medium cage
    32 to 11-28 with short cage
    36 to 11-32 with long cage

The short cage xt I have will easily clear a 11-34 cassette...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have rear freewheel shimano HG-30 11-30T 8spd
    Front 22/32T with bashguard
    So I could run a short cage no problem? Even if not XT? What would be my best bet, least cost? Without changing the shifters, etc.

I'm A Pedalphile
    cstone, with that gear combo, you need a derailleur that can take up a 29 tooth difference. (30-11)+(32-22). Either a mid or a long cage will work, but a short cage won't work.

In terms of cost, I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you need a new derailleur?
    Bikes:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlong
    cstone, with that gear combo, you need a derailleur that can take up a 29 tooth difference. (30-11)+(32-22). Either a mid or a long cage will work, but a short cage won't work.

In terms of cost, I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you need a new derailleur?
    It can work with a short cage, it just takes more care in choosing gear combos

Size the chain for the 33-30 gear combo. You will be able to use the full range of the cassette from the 32t ring. The only problem you should have is the short cage leaving the chain too slack if you use the 22t ring with the smaller half of the cassette

Paste eater
    I've been running a 32 11-34 with a short cage for a couple years now with no ill effects. Me thinks some people are talking out of their a$$ here.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    I've been running a 32 11-34 with a short cage for a couple years now with no ill effects. Me thinks some people are talking out of their a$$ here.
    Yes, people are talking out their asses is they think that there is ANY 1x9 setup out there that you can't run a short cage with. A 1x9 with ANY cassette (as long as the largest cog is 34 or less), and ANY size single ring will work with a short cage!

PEOPLE: READ THE STICKY!!!!!!!!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Yes, people are talking out their asses is they think that there is ANY 1x9 setup out there that you can't run a short cage with. A 1x9 with ANY cassette (as long as the largest cog is 34 or less), and ANY size single ring will work with a short cage!

PEOPLE: READ THE STICKY!!!!!!!!

Ha, way to terminate this thread. well done.