mtbr member
    Oct 2004

1x9 setup with a turner, cant find a chain guide

hey guys,. my setup is almost done but I cant find a device that will keep the chain from falling off the gear. i got the bashgaurd installed but unf the n-gear jumpstop I bought doesnt fit due to the rear shock mount is in the way. anyone ahve any ideas?? Can I put another guide in place of where the granny gear used to be?

thanks!
    Ralph

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    an E13 guide would solve your problems....not exactly cheap though....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You may not need an inner guide. I ran into the same issue when I swapped my Locomoto to 1 x 9, the swingarm prevents use of a jumpstop. I decided to give it a go and have not lost the chain yet despite riding some rocky and rooty trail at speed. I have a Surly SS ring up front with a Ringerdinger outer guard and a mid cage XTR rear mech.

neutiquam erro
    I use one of these in place of my granny ring for my 1x9.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    thanks for the reply guys! I might not need it but rather not taske the chance, Chris, which size do I need for that ring>? I am using a 32th.

thanks again guys!
    Ralph

neutiquam erro
    Quote Originally Posted by GNfanatic
    thanks for the reply guys! I might not need it but rather not taske the chance, Chris, which size do I need for that ring>? I am using a 32th.

thanks again guys!
    Ralph
    It only comes in one size - similar to bashring sizing, it will work for & cover up to a 36t middle ring max, so using it with a 32t is no problem. I started out with a 32t ring for my 1x9 (since that's what was on my crankset already), then went to a 34t, and am now actually putting in a 36t. Middle ring size preference is a just factor of your local terrain and riding strength - whatever works best for you!

Cheers, Chris

EDIT: Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your sizing question - I suppose you were asking about the 58 vs 64 option. Those mm distances are measured between the diagonal chainring bolt holes for your granny ring. My cranks (RF Evolve XC) are 64mm. Just measure the "x" distance between the center of those bolt holes (not the distance between two adjacent ones). It should be either 58mm or 64mm (most likely 64).

EDIT 2: Actually, I think that all standard 4-bolt cranks are 64mm, and the 5-bolt cranks are the 58mm. Heck, I'm not sure if that's true or not. Just measure to be sure

Straitline also makes a very cool looking inner plate (34t max), but they are backordered everywhere too. eNVy also makes an inner plate, but they are wicked hard to get in the States. This is the only place I've seen them available online - don't know if they are in stock or not.
    Last edited by Chris130; 06-28-2007 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    4039-8409 58mm Stock Confirmed -Ships Tommorow $18.99 Price Match Add to Cart
    4039-8410 64mm Add to Watchlist $18.99 Price Match Backordered - Add to Watchlist?
    chris, reason I ask because it shows a 58 and a 64mm????

than ks!

neutiquam erro
    4039-8409 58mm Stock Confirmed -Ships Tommorow $18.99 Price Match Add to Cart
    4039-8410 64mm Add to Watchlist $18.99 Price Match Backordered - Add to Watchlist?
    chris, reason I ask because it shows a 58 and a 64mm????

than ks!
    Check out the edits to my previous post.

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    thanks Chris, I got the race Face Deus. I will make sure they are 64mm.

thanks again
    Ralph

whistler
    Mar 2004

blackspire stinger

you'd be very happy with this, and it's far more effective and quiet than the other options mentioned:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2622

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    clarkalewis, I was looking at that one to, looks like good quality. I am curious on how that thing mounts to the BB?? can the bearing in that wheel take a beating??

thansk for the post,
    Ralph

neutiquam erro
    On a 1x9, you'd still need a Blackguard (or some inner plate) if you run a Stinger (words straight from Blackspire). A Stinger is meant to be used as "standalone" chain guide on 2x9 drivetrains, not 1x9s.

A Stinger is 3.5mm wide I believe (pretty big), and it mounts in between the BB and the frame. So, how it's going to affect your chainline is something you'd want to consider very carefully before you put one on if you choose to use it. If all you do is XC, a Stinger would be overkill if you have a bash / inner plate sandwich in place. For FR/DH, then a Stinger would be good to have.

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    chris, I jsut noticed it is a "tensior" as well. I dont need a tensioner. I think my best route is to get a inner plate to sandwich the chain,

thanks man

1946:2006:2066

check for chainstay clearance

chris, I jsut noticed it is a "tensior" as well. I dont need a tensioner. I think my best route is to get a inner plate to sandwich the chain,

thanks man
    Some frames don't provide enough chainstay clearance to run an inner plate.

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    so your saying the chain guide that goes where the granny ring goes is not the same size? shheesh, this is getting way to complicated,. its the last thing i need on my bike so i can go riding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Have you looked at the N'gear Jump Stop?

N'ger or the Third E ye will hold your chain from jumping inward. I ran it on my 1x8. Give either a look.
    Last edited by socallush; 07-02-2007 at 07:42 PM. Reason: repeated the question

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    yes I have , matter of fact it is now an ornament on my desk becuase it doesnt fit my frame!

Arrrghhh!!!
    I ran an n-gear on my Turner Burner with a 1x9 setup, but the chain still slipped down during high-speed rough descents or when I biffed. The guy at n-gear, Nick I believe, is very cool and accomodating. In fact, he set me up with a beta-version that mounts to the frame with adhesive, since the original won't fit.
    I think a combo of some inner plate or tensioner with a chain stop could work, but I haven't tried it yet. Whatever route you choose to go, please let us know, as I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Interesting josh, he never emailed me back. I have somthng coming in this week and I will let you know how it works out!

banned
    I run a 1x9 on my RFX with a Stinger ISCG, Race Face bashguard and the front deraillieur as my upper keeper.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Interesting josh, he never emailed me back. I have somthng coming in this week and I will let you know how it works out!
    Yeah, Nick sometimes took a while to get back to me, but eventually he did. Seems like he's got a whole lot going on.
    Anyway, good luck with the setup. When I converted I wanted to save weight and make things more simple. However, I wonder what the pro's of running a 1x9 are if the weight isn't significantly reduced. Many of the setups aren't lighter than a regular 3x9, so I might just go back--
    Thanks for keeping me posted.
    William James

SBK
    HMFIC
    As Chris suggested earlier, there are a number of inner plates available from a variety of folks - I'd throw Dangerboy in on that list as well, they also make an inner plate that bolts up to the granny ring position.

Michael's point about clearance to the swingarm is a good one, and something to keep in mind if you go to mount up an inner ring. For example, the Dangerboy inner guide plate bolts right up to my cranks without issue, but on my Turner Sultan, it will not clear the chainstay/swingarm without some machining on the guide plate. If you do go witn an inner guide plate, be sure to check this area as you're re-mounting the crankset.

I ended up having a machinist friend make [SIZE="1"](no, it doesn't sound like he's interested in making more - sorry!)[/SIZE] a custom inner plate for my Sultan. I posted pics including clearance to the chainstay, as well as dimensions of the plate, etc. over on the Turner board. You can see that post by clicking here. To date, [SIZE="1"](knock on wood)[/SIZE] I haven't yet dropped a chain. I've never dropped the chain with a bash/N-Gear setup either, but this inner/outer plate "sandwich" seems to work very well in the first several hundred miles I've ridden it. To be clear, I run a super-short-cage rear derailleur, and the shortest possible chain length to keep the chain tension high.

insighter, I saved over 400g (nearly a pound) going to 1x9 over the 3x9 on my 26" bike. This version with the inner guide plate is about 30-40g heavier than the N-Gear setup, but it's still well over 350g lighter than the 3x9. The pro's for me (beyond the weight savings) are a bit of simplification, one less shifter/derailleur to fiddle with, and between the short cage RD and the short chain, it is one snappy shifting bike. I don't even own a 3x9 setup anymore, all the bikes are either singlespeed or 1x9 at my place.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

Arrrghhh!!!

Where's the weight benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by SBK
    insighter, I saved over 400g (nearly a pound) going to 1x9 over the 3x9 on my 26" bike. This version with the inner guide plate is about 30-40g heavier than the N-Gear setup, but it's still well over 350g lighter than the 3x9. The pro's for me (beyond the weight savings) are a bit of simplification, one less shifter/derailleur to fiddle with, and between the short cage RD and the short chain, it is one snappy shifting bike. I don't even own a 3x9 setup anymore, all the bikes are either singlespeed or 1x9 at my place.
    Hey Mark- Glad to hear that you saved so much weight. After hearing how jerkchicken set his drivetrain, I thought there wasn't much of a weight benefit. Your example indicates that it's possible to lose some weight and reap other benefits. My only concern is that without a way to vertically hold the chain in place it would jump off on some of the washboard-type trails. Also, I don't have short cage and don't want to shell out the cash for another deraillieur.
    Maybe for the next big purchase...
    William James

SBK
    HMFIC
    Josh, I have a short cage on my Turner, but run the stock long-cage SRAM X9 RD on my Trance. The Trance has been a pretty bulletproof setup too. I tried to help the situation a bit on the bike with the long cage by shortening up the chain when I went 1x9. There's no reason to have the extra length once the big ring is gone and the extra preload from the RD operating on the shorter chain helps keep things relatively tight. No question, I seem to get more chain slap or noise from the long-cage setup, but it works quite well.

I've not yet run into an issue with the lack of vertical chain retention on the long nor short cage setups. Between the bash and the inner guide or plate, the chain just flat does its job. Did you find yourself dropping the chain to the inside, even with the N-Gear?
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

Arrrghhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBK
    I've not yet run into an issue with the lack of vertical chain retention on the long nor short cage setups. Between the bash and the inner guide or plate, the chain just flat does its job. Did you find yourself dropping the chain to the inside, even with the N-Gear?
    I don't think I've ever dropped the chain on the outside. It has always been to the inside, even with the N-gear. I was baffled by it, because the N-gear was close to the ring and I couldn't figure out how it was dropping. My best guess is that the chain is throwing off near the bottom of the ring. I removed a link from the chain and have it pretty tight, and am running an XTR rear deraillieur. I just bought a Blackspire Mono Veloce, hoping a single-speed ring will help, and am wondering whether a Stinger with an inner plate would do the trick...
    William James