mtbr member
    Jan 2005

1x9 setup for road use mainly - some questions

Hi!
    I had some bike modifications in mind and was enlightened in the General forum(http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/going-1-2-way-singlespeed-438314.html#post4736082) that I was talking about 1x9 setup.

I have 3x9 MTB wich i plan to use mainly for road and light trail. It is fully rigid bike, and drivetrain and FD is worn, so I want cheaply convert the bike to 1x9. I have new 11-32 cassette and 9 speed chain ready, the only thing i need is a chainring ( I plan to use 44T or similar)

this morning I made a quick test to see how 1x9 setup can be done. I left FD in place (it works as a chainguard), and placed big 44T ring in the middle position on the crankset. Some issues to resolve with this -
    (1) i had to file off some steel from the old worn 44Tchainring, as it wouldn't fit to the middle ring place
    (2) i had to install 44T chainring in different direction (its inner side to outside), because it has some indentations and wouldn't sit properly
    (3) i had to remove pin from the 44T chainring (it rubed agains FD)
    (4) i had to place former middle ring in outmost position on the crankset, otherwise bolts wouldn't hold

It looks a bit strange, but works. Since the chainring is worn and is used in opposite direction, there is some crunching noise, but chain is pretty much straight when it sits on the middle cog, and FD rub is also minimal when chain is on the biggest or smallest cog.

I'll call some LBS tomorrow, but may be somebody can help now - since I plan to use 9 speed cassette and chain, I need 9 speed chainring (44T or close) - SS chainring probably won't do. Is there such a chainring without all the ramps and pin and such? And ready to be used without filing metal off? BTW, my cranckset is Shimano FC-M510

regards
    nampla

mtbr member
    I've been riding my MTB as a 1x9 for 9 or 10 months and have no intentions to go back to 18 or 27 speeds. But I'd never make the conversion for a (mainly) road bike. Most of the benefits for me going to the simpler system aren't felt on the road.

But give it a shot -- Blackspire, eThirteen and other companies make unramped chainrings.
    http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5948/266572/0/0

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It is simple, really - FD, cassette, chain and all chainrings are all worn. Since I use the bike mainly on road anyway, it looks like a waste to put new chinrings and FD. 1x9 setup (44 or 42 T and 11-32 cassette) gives good range of gears to go reasonably fast and to climb reasonably steep. And who knows, this could morph in 1x9 offroad setup, or singlespeed, when i wear the cassette :-)

thank you for your pointers, i'm going to the shops to check what the have.

regards,
    nampla

mtbr member
    Have you seen the Show Pictures on your 1x9 Setup thread here in the Drivetrain forum? Check it out for a thousand variations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yep, did check some, too many to go ...

however, those are predominantly offroad machines, with chainrings ~32-36T. I wanted much larger chainring for road use. I spent quite some time today in three bike shops, and they really tried to help, but to do cost effective conversion(I mean, I can buy 40 T DH chainring for the price Deore 44T chainring + derailer and have some change left) the only way was to buy 42T Alivio steel chainring and then hack it into the middle position.

Another idea was to get 2 rings road crankset with 39T smaller ring. However, chainline would be upset.

So, Alivio it will be...

regards,
    nampla