Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 1X9 question...

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eyco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    89

    1X9 question...

    i run 1x9 11-34 on 34T
    if i use shimano hg61 12-36(29'r) it should work right? for easy climbing it is...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,218
    You will exceed the rated capacity of most 9 speed rear derailleurs.
    Having said that, I run 36s with X7 rear derailleurs on several 9 speed bikes.
    I haven't tried it yet but going to try a SLX setup in the next few days.
    If your chain is very short it might be tight with the larger cassette but not likely.

    So, yes, it will probably work fine. I run 36 cassettes on all of my 1X9 bikes, 34 on my 3X9s

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    You will exceed the rated capacity of most 9 speed rear derailleurs.
    Having said that, I run 36s with X7 rear derailleurs on several 9 speed bikes.
    I haven't tried it yet but going to try a SLX setup in the next few days.
    If your chain is very short it might be tight with the larger cassette but not likely.

    So, yes, it will probably work fine. I run 36 cassettes on all of my 1X9 bikes, 34 on my 3X9s
    FWIW I'm running the 12-36 cassette and a Shimano Saint SS 810 derailleur and it works marvelously.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    48
    without doing the math, couldn't you essentially go 32t up front to get the same effect? May not be exact, but should make it easier to climb.

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,034
    Quote Originally Posted by naedward812 View Post
    without doing the math, couldn't you essentially go 32t up front to get the same effect? May not be exact, but should make it easier to climb.
    Yup, a 32x11-34 will give pretty much the same gearing as 34x12-36.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thasingletrackmastah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    345
    11t is useless...
    But 12-36 is Heavy.
    Buying a 32t ring for your current setup seems the smartest thing to do. (just don't use the 11t too much )
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,034
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    11t is useless...
    But 12-36 is Heavy.
    Buying a 32t ring for your current setup seems the smartest thing to do. (just don't use the 11t too much )
    with a single 32T ring the whole cassette is useful, including the 11T.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    296
    Just replied to this same question a few threads down the list. I do this and it works great. I did have to bend off the little tab on the derailer cage, one time it caught the cassette and got yanked off. Other than that, it works great. You can also remove the 12th gear off the cassette, and throw on an 11t off any traditional cassette if you want. That's what I did, gives me pretty reasonable range.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •