mtbr member
    Nov 2004

1x9 parts list, will all the pieces fall together?

I am going to swap my karate monkey ss to a 1x9 and have these components in mind, anything obviously stupid?

Existing:
    • Truvativ Stylo SS crank w/32T chainring

• N-Gear Jumpstop

New:
    • SRAM X.7 Rear Derailleur - thinking Medium cage, or should I be safe and go long cage?

• SRAM X.7 9-Speed Trigger Shifter

• Shimano XT M760 Cassette, 11-32T - will this jive with the SRAM parts or should I go with an SRAM cassette, too?

• SRAM PC951 Chain

• Generic cable/housing from the LBS

Thanks.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Re: R Derailleur Choice

You could go with a short cage if you like. A medium cage is plenty 'safe', long cage would be overkill.

...idios...
    I reckon the shorter the better for a derailleur, so the medium would get my nod over the long. You can't go wrong with the XT cassette, it's probably the benchmark 9 speed cassette, but I'd recommend dropping the PC951 for either a Shimano XTR/DuraAce or one of KMC's X9 range with SRAM Powerlink. My own experiences of SRAM chains and cassettes has been unfavorable.
    Have you had a wander through the wonderful 1x9 thread?

Further to Shayne's advice (he was posting while I was writing), I believe that you'd have to use the SRAM X9 if you wanted a short cage SRAM derailleur. Your other option is to use Shimano.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the input. I think I will stick to the medium cage x7, and also explore other chain options. This will be my first time hooking up a gerared drivetrain so look for future posts regarding installation issues

Thanks for the link, lots of good stuff in there. Wonder why I didn't find that before I posted

...idios...
    The 1x9 thread should be Sticky, it's a fantastic resouce for drivetrain information, not just 1x8/9'ers. Another thing to add would be the suggestion to use a single length of outer cable for your derailleur. It increases performance and drastically reduces maintenance. Let us know how your conversion goes and how you like the set-up.

Good dirt,

Steve

neutiquam erro
    I'd also add this consideration when it comes to cutting your chain down. I did the "+4" with my 1x9 and like the shifting better than "+2".

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]