Thread: to 1x9 or not?

mtbr member

to 1x9 or not?

My current setup is a no ring-midring-big ring setup. I bought a bash gaurd to run a midring/bash 1x9. I didn't realize I would need a chain guide device. all the chain guide devices are quite elaborate, $100+ and imo defeat the simplicity purpose of a 1x9 except for the n-gear, which through this site I have found works, but not 100%. now im at the dilema, do go through with the 1x9 or buy a ring-ring-bash crank? the fsa moto x, which is the spec crank for mybike (08 parker 2) can be had for easily under 100. the derailleur and shifter I already have, so not an issue.

my riding is hard to describe. I live in florida so its mostly alot of short but steep, technical and rough climbs. the 32t ring is easily capable except in a few events where i lose my flow. i do hit freeride lines, and i will be doing some riding up in the carolinas this summer so a little ring would be beneficial there.

opinions?

MC MasterShake
    If you are strong enough to get rid of granny than I say do it. Personally, I use the MRP mini-g but I do freeride/dh stuff with my bike as well as AM. Some of my buddies ride with the an inner and out bashring which sandwiches the chain in place. They haven't had any issues with this setup. Not sure why you would need to buy a special crank.

Paste eater
    you CAN get away with just a jump stop. I did this for a while on my AM bike. Only dropped the chain in the real rough stuff. I got a LG1 and called it a day. pretty sweet really. FDs are a huge pain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Not sure why you would need to buy a special crank.
    not that i need a special crank, just a different one if i were to go the ring-ring-bash route. mycurrent crank does not have granny gear mount.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm a bit confused. Why do you feel you need a chain guide device? Lots of folks run 1x9 with or w/o a bash guard very successfully. Is yours giving you some kind of problems? if so what exactly are the reasons you're looking at a change.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    I'm a bit confused. Why do you feel you need a chain guide device? Lots of folks run 1x9 with or w/o a bash guard very successfully. Is yours giving you some kind of problems? if so what exactly are the reasons you're looking at a change.
    to be honest, after scouring the forums it seems that everyone on here running the 1x9 has needed some kind of guide device... which led me to my belief

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I run my 1x9 setup with NO chain retention device in nor outside.

Never dropped the chain (1000+ miles).

I think the key is to have a very tight chain, a short RD (I use Short X0), and a good chainline. I think having no-ramps on the chainring also helps.

But you need a setup that works for you. Dropping the chain is not fun.

knock-knock...
    if you use a single speed chainring, the chain will take care of itself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skottt160
    But doesn't a singlespeed ring require the wider chain that typically goes with 8-speed cogsets?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by luckynumber9
    to be honest, after scouring the forums it seems that everyone on here running the 1x9 has needed some kind of guide device... which led me to my belief
    Unless you're pedaling through very bouncy conditions, the chain should be able to stay on without a retention device. But riders on very rough terain will be jolting their drivetrains so hard and so often the the chain is knocked about and will run over the side of the rings without a retention device. It isn't about your drivetrain so much as it is about the riding conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    But doesn't a singlespeed ring require the wider chain that typically goes with 8-speed cogsets?
    8s and 9s chainring tooth width is the same, as are the inside dimensions of the chains, so it shouldn't make any difference. The shape of the inner chain plates does make a difference. Chains with a bit more bellmouth or camber on the inner plates are better able to smoothly pick up the next tooth when coming from the side then chains whose inner plates are flatter.
    Last edited by FBinNY; 03-22-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by skottt160
    That's what I used to think.
    I was running SS ring with bashwich, along with a short cage RD and never dropped the chain.
    Recently changed to SLX cranks, and the Blackguard inner ring touches the chainstay with this crankset.
    Figured I really didn't need it since I was running SS ring, and it worked fine until the rough stuff, and chain was dropping inside.
    I rigged up a homemade jumpstop, and will be testing it later today.
    If it all works out, I'll post some pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Middleburn makes a 9 Speed singlespeed chainring (no ramps). That is what I use with great success.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flafonta
    Middleburn makes a 9 Speed singlespeed chainring (no ramps). That is what I use with great success.
    I need to make time to look into that. I wouldn't mind trying 1x9 on one of my bikes. Seems like it'd save a bit of weight and make things simpler into the bargain.

spec4life???..smh...
    I just made the switch to a rigid 1x8 setup and rode it for the first time yesterday. I dropped the chain close to ten times in a little over 12 miles. Granted the terrain was a little ruffer than I had hoped for my rigid setup which may have aided to the dropping.

Im not sure what to do...could taking some links out of my chain help...

mtbr member
    I am going 1x9 on my Full suspension bike this season. I plan on adding an MRP mini-g.

Designated Bleeder

Having the same 1 x 9 problem

I recently changed my Niner EMD to a 1x9 and have been having similar problems. I was originally using a ramped 32T ring with a bash guard and a jump stop on the inside. Last weekend I think I dropped the chain 15 times and broke it once! Arg. The chain just kept pushing the jump stop out of the way (if you can believe it).

I just invested in a Blackspire singlespeed 32T ring and hopefully this will solve the problem. However, it seems that I might also have to run a short cage derailleur or a chain guide. That would suck.

Unfortunately, I ride the rough terrain of New England which necessitates a lot of ups and down, rock gardens and quick bursts of pedaling.

Has anyone figured out a fool proof 1 x 9 system?

mtbr member
    I ride 1x9 since I RARELY shift the chainrings. Figured may as well take them off. If the race trail is going to call for another ring, I'll just add it. I tightened down my FDR so adding the rings for a race is not much issue, although I did remove the shifters.

There are a couple 6 hour races I am doing solo so I promise you the granny is going on for those.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK

Has anyone figured out a fool proof 1 x 9 system?

Like you i Ride in New England and I also ride 1x9. A jump stop works OK, but as soon as you start hitting roots or rocks at high speed, my chain would often jump over it or under it, etc etc...

I settle on a LG1. It's lighter than a bash and guide and it works perfect.