mtbr member
    Dec 2006

1x9 Dura-ace or XTR Rear Derailleur, Short of Long Cage

I intend to convert my bike to 1x9, using exisiting XT cranksets with either 32T or 36T chainring. Undecided if I should be using road or MTB cassette.

I use a MTB frame with Reba shocks. I do mostly touring and about 50% on tarmac and 50% on cobblestones. Occassionally on dirt path but little if no jumping at all.

Q1. What are the pros and cons of road and MTB rear derailleur and cassette in my applications?

Q2. Is campagnolo's RD compatible with Shimano or SRAM's MTB shifter?

Q3. Should I be using long or short cage RD if I am only using max. 36T chainring?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A1. For cassettes, Road and Mountain are just marketing labels. Buy whatever 9-speed cassette has the range you need.

Dura-Ace derailleurs are not designed to shift cogs larger than 27 teeth. If you need 11-30, 11-32, or 11-34, use a MTB rear derailleur.

A2. Campy RD works with Shimano shifter, but I don't know if it's 100% compatible. SRAM ESP shifters only work with SRAM ESP derailleurs.

A3. Short cage is OK for ANY 1x9 application.

mtbr member
    as euromack said above,

i just fitted a ultegra road cassete 12-23 on a 38 lbs bike and its great,also lighter than xt and cheaper than xtr.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroMack
    A1. For cassettes, Road and Mountain are just marketing labels. Buy whatever 9-speed cassette has the range you need.

Dura-Ace derailleurs are not designed to shift cogs larger than 27 teeth. If you need 11-30, 11-32, or 11-34, use a MTB rear derailleur.

A2. Campy RD works with Shimano shifter, but I don't know if it's 100% compatible. SRAM ESP shifters only work with SRAM ESP derailleurs.

A3. Short cage is OK for ANY 1x9 application.
    A road derailleur can handle a bigger cog on a mtb than a road bike because the hanger is (should be) longer.

I would use the cheaper short cage derailleur.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

1946:2006:2066

tongue in cheek thread hijack

Quote Originally Posted by wensiaw@pacific.net.sg
    I use a MTB frame with Reba shocks. I do mostly touring and about 50% on tarmac and 50% on cobblestones. Occassionally on dirt path but little if no jumping at all.
    some tarmac, some cobblestones, some dirt.

sounds like Paris-Roubaix...I bet an mtb XC racer could give the roadies a hard time.

michael
    Last edited by FireDog46; 04-21-2007 at 09:40 AM.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb