mtbr member
    Nov 2009

1x9 crank opinions

going to do a 1x9 setup and wanted to know if it makes a difference if i buy a single speed crank or not. there must be some benefits to it but i am just not seeing them. i was just going to take the inner and outter ring off and run a chain guide and call it a day. so is there any benefit to ss cranks? i tried to look for some but only came across a truvati one and that was only in a kit.. who sells a stand alone ss crank if that is even the way to go.

thanks,
    adam

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Several manufacturers offer SS-specific cranksets. White Industries, Truvativ, Surly, Middleburn, Origin 8, Race Face, etc. IMO, there's little benefit except that they're generally cheaper if you're buying new, since the arms are usually the same and you're not paying for two extra rings.
    - Joe

mbtr member
    i have fsa v-drive ss cranks 1x9. It was nice that they came in 180mm with bash and ss ring for cheap, but they're not tapped to run a granny, which is annoying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just pull of the big and little rings and call it a day. I pulled them off my XT crank and put on a mrp 1x. Has worked great so far and I dropped a hole lbs of my Phropet.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    i have fsa v-drive ss cranks 1x9. It was nice that they came in 180mm with bash and ss ring for cheap, but they're not tapped to run a granny, which is annoying.
    The main difference between triple/double and single ring cranksets are the additional machining and threading for the granny ring tabs. For the most part, they should be the exact same dimensionally. Chainline is measured differently between the different crankset types, but the physical dimensions should be the same.

Cheers,
    philip

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks for the input guys, the more i think about it i am leaning more towards a 2x9 i think. with the northeast riding i do it is short steep techy downhills with the same thing going up... i think with a 1x9 i would either give up to much speed on the downhills or not have a low enough gear for the steeper climbs... next time i go out i am going to pay alot more attention to what gears i am using more often.