mtbr member

1X9 Conversion w/road cassette?

I am thinking of converting my Mamasita to a 1X9 using a road cassette. Can I use a Sram Red 10spd rear derailleur with an X0 twist grip shifter on an Ultegra 9speed cassette? I "think" that I would just have to adjust the lower limit screw so that it would only shift to the #9 cog as long as the shifter is compatible. Can anyone help me out here. "I know that I could just use a Sram MTB der. but I am trying to be a little creative/unique with this build". Thanks.

Meh.
    The SRAM Red derailleur uses a different pull ratio than the mountain group. But a x0 would work fine with the Ultegra. Or you can use a Double Tap flat bar shifter with the Red.

mtbr member
    Are Ultegra "rear" derailleurs a 1:1 ratio like Sram's mtb rear derailleurs? The d'tap shifter is not really and option for me. I may just go with a Dura Ace rear derailleur and a Shimano trigger set up. Thanks for the info.

...idios...
    All Shimano derailleurs are 2:1.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You can use a MTB rear derailleur on a road cassette with out issues.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The SRAM Red derailleur uses a different pull ratio than the mountain group. But a x0 would work fine with the Ultegra. Or you can use a Double Tap flat bar shifter with the Red.
    I assume you mean a X0 shifter will work with an ultegra cassette, assuming you have a SRAM mountain derailleur, right?

An X0 shifter will not work with an ultegra der.

Meh.
    A x0 derailleur and shifter would work fine with the Ultegra cassette. A Double Tap shifter will work with the Red. A Ultegra derailleur will work fine with a Shimano shifter (though there is no mention of an Ultegra derailleur in the OP).

A 9 speed Ultegra Cassette will work with SRAM or Shimano assuming that the shifter is indexed for 9 speeds.