mtbr member
    Jul 2011

1x9 conversion, should I replace the crank or just run as is?

So I have converted my bike to a 1x9 from 3x9 and was wondering if I really "NEED" to replace the crank with a single crank unit or if it is perfectly fine to just run with the middle ring? Do I need to replace the middle ring with a purpose built single ring? Will I have chain alignment issues to run things as they are?

If/when I do get around to replacing the stock unit, what would be a good replacement for what I have now? It is an FSA powerdrive BB and FSA alpha drive crank arms.

mtbr member
    I have no idea if it is better or not. I can say I've never had a problem running a 3X crank just using the middle with a single speed chain-ring. Actually I really like running a bash and an inner guide BBG bashwich, just so simple.

mtbr member
    As lew posted a BBG bashwich and single speed ring should do the trick. BBG stuff is lite great quality and color choice.

A Wolf single ring is a good option and I have been running a single Wolf with my 3X crank and no chain guard or bashwich and have not dropped the chain, but I am using a clutch derailleur.

Your derailleur is critical, as a 3x drive train may be long cage and while this may work it can be less than ideal for your application. Think most 1x use medium or short cage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I jut removed the outter chainring and took an old front derailluer and chopped it down with a dremel to make a chain guard so it won't pop off over rough terrain. Works like a charm, no issues at all. You can also shorten the chain as well if you want, this also helps with the chain not coming off and chain slap.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    I have no idea if it is better or not. I can say I've never had a problem running a 3X crank just using the middle with a single speed chain-ring. Actually I really like running a bash and an inner guide BBG bashwich, just so simple.
    lew, do you ever get noise from the chain rubbing the bashwich guides?

Fred

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    A Wolf single ring is a good option and I have been running a single Wolf with my 3X crank and no chain guard or bashwich and have not dropped the chain, but I am using a clutch derailleur.

Your derailleur is critical, as a 3x drive train may be long cage and while this may work it can be less than ideal for your application. Think most 1x use medium or short cage.
    +1

I was dropping chains occasionally and considered a chain guide/bashwich, but ended up getting a Shimano single chainring for my Shimano M660 and haven't dropped the chain since. I use a medium cage derailleur. I was going to get a clutch derailleur as a last resort before getting some kind of chain guard, but there hasn't been the need.

mtbr member
    lew, do you ever get noise from the chain rubbing the bashwich guides?
    Nope, only on an old square taper crank when the Q-factor and chainline was miles out and only on the largest cog on the cassette.

Oh yeah, good points raised, get a short cage derailleur. I'm thinking about getting a Zee and one of those fancy new high ramped chain rings and ditching the bashwich.

'Tis but a scratch
    I recently converted to 1x9 and used my 3x9 crank. I dropped the small ring and replaced the outer ring with a bash-guard. Then I used one of these N-Gear Jump Stops for $10 to avoid dropping the chain. Works great! You can go ahead and buy other stuff if you like, but you don't have to.

N-Gear Jump Stop Chain Guide > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have two bikes running 1x9 on 3x cranks......I run a BBG on the outside and a jump stop on the inside and never had a problem....they run great. Why spend more $ then you have too?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

1x9 conversion, should I replace the crank or just run as is?

Did a 1x conversion on my son's bike and it worked great until he started getting more aggressive. I then added a pauls guide and no more issues.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sounds good, thanks for all the advice. As usual, MTBR always comes through with excellent advice from the community.