mtbr member
    Feb 2009

1x9 chainline decisions.

Ok driveline experts, please voice your opinions here.....

Building a 1x9, rear chainline is 45mm (measured way too many times). I can go with a 113mm spindle to get my front chainline to 48.5mm which would better align me with the smaller cogs where I spend more time or 108mm spindle which would be almost dead on with the rear. I would like to riding a 32T front chainring with no bash guards for XC.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Doing quick math, it looks like you're fairly well centered on the cassette. Pushing the cranks outboard might help somewhat in your most active combinations, but might make use of the largest cogs problematic. I'd start where you are now, and see how things work out.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    fb,
    Phil woods makes a BB that is 111mm netting a chainline of 47.5. This sounds like the optimal setting for a 1x9 without chainguides. Do you agree?

Thanks..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sounds OK, It really isn't rocket science and a few mm either way aren't critical.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.