mtbr member
    Sep 2008

1X9 Bashwich/BB question

I have finished building up my Chinesium carbon hardtail 1X9 and chose to go with a BBC bashwich. I went with the 1/16th inch inner but the clearance to the chainstay is pretty tight, about 2mm. This clearance might be just fine but makes me nervous. I am playing with adding an additional BB spacer to move my driveline out a bit. Running a 9 speed SLX crankset w/Blackspire Veloce 32t w/XTR BB and have used the standard 1 spacer non drive/2 spacer drive side configuration. I added a spacer to the drive side giving me 3 with one on the non drive side. Plenty of room now and drive line looks doable. I just read during a search that you should always have 3 spacers total for these Shimano Hollow techs, should I remove the non drive spacer and just have 3 on the drive side? I didn't want anything mounted on my seat tube so that's why I went the Bashwich route.

Plays with tools
    You shouldn't run more than 2 per side and you shouldn't ALWAYS have 3. a 1/16th isn't insufficient but it could be better. If the chain line still looks decent with 2 spacers drive and one non-drive I'd run that. If you stack all 3 spacers on the drive side you're going to be pushing your thread engagement a little short, since that's the side that see most of the load you might run into serious problems depending on how big you are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks. I will try the standard 1 spacer non drive/ 2spacer drive and hope that the inner bash doesn't deflect too much. I weigh 160 lbs and spin rather than mash.