mtbr member
    Sep 2004

1x9 with a 30 chain ring?

Right now I'm running a 32/11-34 and would like to go too a 29 or a 30 chain ring for my 29er............

mtbr member
    is this a question? i cant really tell......

mtbr member
    I do see a question mark! That would make it a question.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    What kind of riding do you do?

I have a 33 in the front with 11-34 in the back and I like it a lot but I will never get a lot of speed on the down hills out of it. Don't know if that matters for you.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    I do see a question mark! That would make it a question.

yes i see that, however the sentence structure is clearly a statement that contain a question mark at the end,but never defining what the question actually is,much like the statement,"rabbit on a hill?" So i guess i can assume what the question is anyway.

Run what is comfortable to you. borrow a used ring from a friend to try it out if wanted.

hope that was the right choice of feedback. if not ill try again.

Ride Responsibly
    Since the OP made little sense, let me ask a question.
    I have tried 1x9 only to have the chain fall off when going to either extreme, also can't stand the noise when the rear gear is off center, you know the grinding on the frt ring, just before the chain falls off.
    Question, is this how a 1x9 works or am I just doing something wrong.
    best I have managed is spacing out the cassette and dropping the loose gears to have a 1x5

mbtr member
    xc mike- sure, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

lwright- what are you using for a chainguide? Are you using a SS ring or a ring thats meant to be shifted? Did you remove links from your chain when you got rid of the big ring? What are you using for a derailleur?

My 1x9 is dead quiet and has never dropped a chain the way i have it set up now, so i don't think thats how they're supposed to work.

Kosher Princess

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    much like the statement,"rabbit on a hill?"
    or "fork in the potato?"

With that said, yes, I like the idea of using a 29 tooth chainring with a 1x9 setup, however, going 29 x 11-34 cassette seems a little too easy to push. Maybe if you do 29 x 12-27? Of course your legs will know better.

Otherwise, consult your Rabbi or Shaman for they know the ways of the drivetrain.

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike
    Right now I'm running a 32/11-34 and would like to go too a 29 or a 30 chain ring for my 29er............

Sure you can. Extralite make a 30 tooth 4 bolt chainring that will fit straight onto most cranksets.

I'm using one on a Shimano XT crank, with a 11/34 cassette...1x9.

Works fine, except you may have to chamfer the tops of the spider arms on some cranksets... I did.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    I have tried 1x9 only to have the chain fall off when going to either extreme, also can't stand the noise when the rear gear is off center, you know the grinding on the frt ring, just before the chain falls off.
    best I have managed is spacing out the cassette and dropping the loose gears to have a 1x5
    I've noticed something similar, noisy particularly in the 32t cog up the back. I would say it's mainly to do with the chain line spacing of the cranks (something I haven't had much to do with to date).

But yes running either a single speed chainring or a dh chainring up front helps a lot with the chain drop issue. On one bike I've got a standard ramped/ pinned shimano 32t ring with 11-34 cassette up back and have had to do a "bash sandwich" to stop the chain falling off. On my new bike I've got a 32t dh chainring up front 11-32 cassette (appropriate length chain with both) and no issues with chain falling off just running a bash guard.

OP
    Personally I wouln't go down to a 30t, unless you were running harder / less gears up back. But depends entirely on your terrain too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    a well adjusted 1x9(mine a bash guard and a jump stop inside) makes no noise.

mtbr member
    I just use a properly lengthened/shortened chain, an X9 rear mech, and a ss chain ring with a bash on the outside. No noise, no falling off, just perfect.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Sure you can. Extralite make a 30 tooth 4 bolt chainring that will fit straight onto most cranksets.

I'm using one on a Shimano XT crank, with a 11/34 cassette...1x9.

Works fine, except you may have to chamfer the tops of the spider arms on some cranksets... I did.

R.
    Rainman how is that chain ring holding up for you I did see a couple of threads that say they don't last long? Got any pic's on your setup

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    I just use a properly lengthened/shortened chain, an X9 rear mech, and a ss chain ring with a bash on the outside. No noise, no falling off, just perfect.
    same here - i was dropping the chain with the original 32T bash (and a 36 ring) but since upgrading to a properly size bash (gamut 36-40T) I've yet to drop the chain, even on the rough stuff. running x9 and 11-26 cassette.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    my 30T extralite broke on the ring bolt tabs... i'm not strong at all but it didn't stand up to my mashing on my 6&6 AM rig... trying a 30T specialites in the 64mm granny position now...

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike
    Rainman how is that chain ring holding up for you I did see a couple of threads that say they don't last long? Got any pic's on your setup
    So far it's fine. No problems. I'll post up a pic asap.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Ride Responsibly
    I have a ss 32 ring, no bash guards, xt rear derailleur 11-32 9.0 sram cassette.
    the 32 ring is pretty shot so that might be part of it.
    also i ride xc, but that should not make any difference. I have a nice 34 x 5/94 ring but need cranks, have nice 4 bolt cranks but bad rings.
    Thanks 4 the input