Thread: 1x9

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

1x9

I have been toying with the idea of a 1X9 because I need to replace my crankset. Does anyone have any suggestions for cranks or setup or anything? I have never really seen anything like this. I thought I could maybe run a singlespeed crankset, then just ditch my f.d. and shifter and adjust my chain. Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoOutside
    I have been toying with the idea of a 1X9 because I need to replace my crankset. Does anyone have any suggestions for cranks or setup or anything? I have never really seen anything like this. I thought I could maybe run a singlespeed crankset, then just ditch my f.d. and shifter and adjust my chain. Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this?
    Check out a number of the downhillers. I ditched my granny ring and swapped the 32 tooth ring for a DH chainring without any pins or ramps. Then I threw on a chainguide to make sure that I won't drop the chain.

mtbr member
    I think you may run into problems with the chain hopping off in front due to too much slack in the chain, but their are a couple easy fixes: run a chainguide up front, keep your front derail on, or just deal with the occasional chain throw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I am running a 1x9...

set-up on my 'winter' bike. I have a spot chainring guide in the outer ring position and an n-gear jump stop ($10) to keep all in order on the granny side. I have yet to throw a chain. I am likely going to loose the Spot guide and put on a slick Boone outer Ti ring and keep the jump stop. May remove one of the cogs to push the new '8-speed' cassette out a bit. I may even do a 'Jeff Jones' and try a 1x4 or 1x5 set-up and really be able to fine tune the chainline. I have a cycle dynamics cassette so i can pick and choose the cogs to use.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

Arrrr.
    new 1x9 setup

Over a month on this setup and working great! I don't miss the big/small rings and love the clean look.

I didn't save much weight though if that's what you're after.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

mechmann_mtb
    i have been running the 1X9 for a long time.

i hated FD's so tuning my bike is way nicer.

if you really want to replace your crankset, any crankset will do just fine. the boone spiderless setup may not work for this application as there would be no ringguard on the outside (chain tension keeps an SS from having this problem but even my short cage RD doesn't have enough tension to keep the chain on without the ring guard and jumpstop) i love the way they look though and if i ever decide to ride SS i will get one! in order to have the boone spiderless setup you need to have a removable spider, this necessitates an older crankset (the new ones are press on with a swaging process)

i run 05 XT cranks on my bike. if you want to use a chainring smaller than 30T (extralite makes a 30T 104BDC chainring for about 60 bucks that i have and really like) then you need to get a compact crankset. i don't know much about them and can't help choosing one though since i have never owned one. i like the gearing i get with 30T CR and 11-34 cassette.

it is entirely possible to drop some weight be eliminating the FD/shifter/cables/long cage RD/extra chain links, it just depends if you pick the weight back up with a beefy bashring and RD or whatever. i modified my XT crankset (with a grinder) to remove the un-necessary material where the granny gear went and dropped a little more weight. total weight reduction on my bike was around a pound, but to be honest dropping the weight is only a bit of an extra bonus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1x5 Review (long)

I re-configured the drivetrain last night and today got my first ride in with the 1x5 set-up. Background on this was that I really wanted to do the singlespeed thing and after trying it a few times, just couldn;t get past the really sore knees. That one gear was just too much for my tired old knees. I decided to try the 1x5 as a variation on the Jeff JOnes 1x4 od 2x4 theme. I have a sweet Boone Ti ring I had built for one of my SS attempts. It fits in the outer ring slot, so Iwas going to be facing some big/big issues. By taking only 5 of the cogs from my Cycle Dynamics cassette, I can center it more on the drive shell.

Got the first snow of the season last night. It was melted by midday, but the trails were a muddy mess! Almost pulled out the Smoothie as these conditions didn't seem optimal to test a new new set-up. Bottom line, all went well. The bigger jumps between gears take some getting used to. I also have to be careful not to down shift too far or the chain will drop off behind the cassette. No skips, no dropped chains (a concern having removed the Spot chainring guard) and with all the muck and mess I picked up, I am confident 'cleaner' rides will be even more enjoyable.

Santa is bringing a new Fox Vanilla RLC to replace the Vanilla rigid fork. Sacha Whites fork is a piece of art, but like the old knees with the SS set-up, the old wrists are screaming at the end of a rigid ride. A nice coil fork will be the perfect way to complete my winter rig.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    I re-configured the drivetrain last night and today got my first ride in with the 1x5 set-up. Background on this was that I really wanted to do the singlespeed thing and after trying it a few times, just couldn;t get past the really sore knees. That one gear was just too much for my tired old knees. I decided to try the 1x5 as a variation on the Jeff JOnes 1x4 od 2x4 theme. I have a sweet Boone Ti ring I had built for one of my SS attempts. It fits in the outer ring slot, so Iwas going to be facing some big/big issues. By taking only 5 of the cogs from my Cycle Dynamics cassette, I can center it more on the drive shell.

Got the first snow of the season last night. It was melted by midday, but the trails were a muddy mess! Almost pulled out the Smoothie as these conditions didn't seem optimal to test a new new set-up. Bottom line, all went well. The bigger jumps between gears take some getting used to. I also have to be careful not to down shift too far or the chain will drop off behind the cassette. No skips, no dropped chains (a concern having removed the Spot chainring guard) and with all the muck and mess I picked up, I am confident 'cleaner' rides will be even more enjoyable.

Santa is bringing a new Fox Vanilla RLC to replace the Vanilla rigid fork. Sacha Whites fork is a piece of art, but like the old knees with the SS set-up, the old wrists are screaming at the end of a rigid ride. A nice coil fork will be the perfect way to complete my winter rig.
    Adjust the limit screws to keep the chain from dropping.