Thread: 1X8 Question

NRS

1X8 Question

What size ring do you guys recommend (tooth #) for a 1x8 setup? I have an XT 8 speed cogset. I ride slow rolling hills mostly and dont need all 3 rings up front.
    thanks,G
    "Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
    -Dave Attell

dirtbag
    I have a similar set up on my cross/commuter bike, 'cept it's a 1x9. I'd go with a 42 tooth ring mounted on the middle position of the crank with a chainring guard and a Third Eye or NGear chain stop. Just dont run the ring where it normally is on a 3x9 set up, the chainline will be all wrong.

The 42t ring and a 11-32 cassette should give you a good gearing range for your riding.
    Amolan

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

that would depend entirely on your terrain and strength

Quote Originally Posted by nygeo
    What size ring do you guys recommend (tooth #) for a 1x8 setup? I have an XT 8 speed cogset. I ride slow rolling hills mostly and dont need all 3 rings up front.
    thanks,G
    For me, a 34t chainring, paired with an 11/13/15/17/20/24/29/34 is reasonable for the local Durango trails.
    Am 11/34= an 81" high gear, which is high enough for getting to and front the trails.
    With only a single front ring, the widest possible rear gearing makes the most sense, I should think. 11-34 is the widest possible gearing unless you want to mess around with a funky 10t cassette cog that somebody I forget who makes.
    Unless your trails are truly mostly flat to rolling with no actual climbing, a 1:1, 26" low gear seems prudent to me, which would be a 34/34. A 42t chainring would only yield a possible low gear of 32 inches, using a 34t rear cog. When I want to work that hard on climbs, I just ride my singlespeed.
    Comes down to how versatiile you want your bike to be. If the low gear's too high, you'll probably find yourself avoiding some good trails, unless, like I said, your trails really are pretty flat. In which case I'd recommend moving somewhere more mountainous/interesting.
    Or, if you got a 42t compact ring you're just itching to use, may I suggest considering a 42/29t double crank?
    Got another bike with a 34/24 in front, and an 11-34t 8 sp. in back, that I'm not a'feared to take most anywhere. Just rode it 4 hours this am and climbed from 6.5k' to 9.5k' and back. Shifting a double with a wide range in back is a lot less complex than having a triple crank, as you use the granny ring as a granny and middle depending on the rear cog, and the 34t ring as both a middle and big ring, depending on rear cog. So you never have to wonder whether to shift to the grannyring or stayin the middle. The wide rear cluster is easier to deal with than the granny-middle shift, so the next needed gear is always just rear click away.
    Yeah using a 24t as a "middle" ring adds wear, but I got a bunch of steel Onza 24t rings, so I'm not too concerned. Even so a steel 24t lasts about a year and a half, so the wear thing is overblown if you use steel instead of wimpy aluminum.

from the east

It's all personal.

Use the middle ring you already have. 42 teeth up front is definitely too high for actual singletrack climbing. My 1 x 8 setup has a 1:1 ratio for the lowest gear. I end up standing for a lot of my climbing, but personally I like it that way. After you've used it for a while, you can decide if you need to go a little bigger or smaller.

eric.