mtbr member

1x7 w/Friction Shifting - Feels Sketchy?

I just set up my old rigid steel Trek 950 to 1x7 with a Suntour bar-end friction shifter mounted to On-One Midge bars. I have ridden bikes with down tube friction shifters and didn't have any problems, but this setup feels very unreliable and unsafe. I ride hard and am often out of the saddle and I feel like the chain will skip when I am sprinting, throwing me over the bars. A chain guide would be helpful for keeping the chain on the front ring, but I doubt it will help keep the rear from skipping.

This problem has caused me to feel insecure on the bike and thus slower. DO I just need to be patient until I get used to the new setup or is there something I'm missing?

mtbr member

Could just be you...but maybe not. You shouldn't need a chain tensioner on that old setup, the derailleur should do the job. If it is skipping badly, your chain and/or cassette may be worn and incompatible. You might also try tightening up the friction on the shifters to make sure that they stay put when you have them where you want them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Start with tightening the drag on the friction shifter, as Schott said, otherwise you'll need to get your shift lined up better. If you have never used friction shifters before (or haven't used them in quite a while) you'll need to dial yourself back in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    your chain and/or cassette may be worn and incompatible
    Thanks Schott, for some reason I hadn't thought of this. However, the chain is 6-7-8-speed compatible so that shouldn't be the main issue. I'll look into tightening the bolt on the shifter.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by merzperson View Post
    Thanks Schott, for some reason I hadn't thought of this. However, the chain is 6-7-8-speed compatible so that shouldn't be the main issue. I'll look into tightening the bolt on the shifter.
    Right, but if it is a new chain and an old cassette, or the other way around, or both used but not with one another, than the wearing of both components won't be in sync, and will jump quite violently, especially when pedaling hard. It is the chain rising to the top of the teeth, then slamming back down where it belongs. Hope this helps, should be pretty easy to dial it all in. Friction is awesome. My Paul thumbies have a friction option on them. While out on a ride two days ago I botched up my rear cable pretty bad, hanging on by a few threads and was shifting awfully (obviously). Switched it into friction mode and was off to a most enjoyable ride out of the woods.