Thread: 1x7 ok?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

1x7 ok?

hi there is it ok to run it with where he granny gear is. it used to be 21 speed but i took the largest chainring off . and i know want to know if i should keep a 2x7 setup. also the bike is only running linear pull rear brakes only and i am wanting to take off the front brake. but i am running shimano rapid fire shifters which have the breake inside of the shifter. so what front shiter should i use to make it look simmilarr

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    1. Yes you can run a granny gear in the 1x7, but I would recommend running the middle ring, unless yer trail is uphill both ways

2. Yer chain may be prone to falling off. If so invest in chain keeper.

3. Why take off the front brake?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ya the grannyis 28 t and he middle is atleats a 34 and the free wheel is 28 t to 13 t i think so if i did run he middle i should get a new free wheel with a maga range 1st gear correc

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Maybe maybe. What kind of riding do you do? Around town only? Trails only? From town to trails?

I have "toured"(~450 miles) using a 1x7 with a 36t chain ring and a 12x28 cassette. It's also my grocery getter, trail, commuter bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    um both types more trail and jumoing but i do go on the road once in a while what was your suggestion

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    so i have been trying 2x7 out and i think ill have to keep it