mtbr member
    Mar 2006

1x11 stange noise

My wife and I both have Sram XX1 drive trains and they both have developed the same weird noise. Not consistent, but under hard pedaling there is what is best described as a grinding noise. Any one else have this problem and figure out what it is (and hopefully a solution)?

mtbr member

1x11 stange noise

You need to try to narrow down the source of the noise. Whether it's at the BB, chainring, derailleur, cassette, hub, etc.

Assuming all external parts are clean, free of debri/dirt and properly lubed, and derailleur is mechanically sound... My guess is something's wrong at the BB or the hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's almost always the chainring. It will make that grinding sound when the chain is dirty, especially if the ring has a bit of wear. It is more common on smaller diameter rings. Something to do with the narrow/wide setup of the chainring. I've found keeping the chain clean and lubed keeps the noise at bay except in the most extreme situations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    What Techikal said. It is common for narrow/wide chain rings to make a bit more noise than a more traditional ring, even on a clean drive train. I've run in to this several times at the shop on the SRAM 1x11's we've sold. A dirty drive train/chain will increase the noise. Try cleaning and lubing the chain and see if that helps. If the problem persists then check the chain ring and chain for wear. A worn out chain and/or chain ring will make more noise as well. If you can't narrow it down and solve the problem, then shop is the next stop.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Check to make sure the derailluer mounting bolts are snug.
    On some bikes, the Type 2 rear d mounting bolts can back out a bit initially.
    If there's any slop/play back there, you can get chain line noise across several gears.
    If all is snug, then just keep the drivetrain properly clean and lubed as mentioned above and see if the noise goes away.
    If you have chainline issues with your 1x11 you'll likely soon see it in wear on the front chain ring and/or the 42T rear.

mtbr member
    I'm having the same issues, as are many others in this thread: XX1 28t chain grinding?

I'm looking for a NW ring with a shorter tooth profile. May make it more prone to drops, but also may make it less prone to grinding/popping. I've only ever made that go away with a new chainring, though it inevitably comes back. It's an issue with SRAM's rings, Wolf Tooth's rings, and I think Raceface's rings, at least.

Anyone tried North Short Billet? 1x 11 Variable Tooth Direct Mount Chainrings | North Shore Billet
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for all the replies and the link to the other thread on this, all very helpful. I had recently switched over to the lube noted in the other thread that was a thick wet lube for winter, had been using White Lightning (my all time fav). I broke down the entire drive train yesterday on both bikes for cleaning, removing the chain, front chainring, cassette, and rear D pully wheels. Cleaned everything good, and flipped the front chainring before re-assembly and lube. Hope to ride today and see if this helps, will post up results after my ride.

mtbr member

1x11 stange noise

I switched to a Teflon based lube from blue Dumonde. The vibration is just as strong as ever, but it's noticeably quieter.

Gonna try the NSB ring, as the tooth profile isn't so dramatic. Might drop a chain or two, but it'll be worth it to me to get a longer, quieter life out of the ring. I think using the Teflon lube will help with longevity, too.

Also, WTC is working on a stainless steel ring, which I'll undoubtedly try once the NSB wears down.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Had a good ride today and the drive train is quiet again, now if I can get get rid of the creaking noise in my dropper post.
    Again, thanks for the replies and advise.