29 13.94%
  • Yes, and it's just ok.

2 0.96%
  • Yes and I didn't like it

2 0.96%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

1x11 Poll and Questions

I'm doing a little research about 1x11. Have you tried 1x11? Did you like it, not like it or indifferent? What do you like or not like about it?

Here's some info on the new XO1. Wish it was cheaper but it seems to work as good as XX1 for us so far. XO1 Specs and Info
    IPA will save America

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Ok I haven't tried 1x11 per say but I have a 1x10 setup with a 32T wolftooth narrowide front and Shimano shadow plus rear deraileur. It works fine for most off trail riding. I think if I I went a little bigger on the front and was able to put a bigger cog in the rear it would be almost perfect, so yes I would certainly consider getting a 1x11 in the future once prices start coming down to earth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I'm doing a little research about 1x11. Have you tried 1x11? Did you like it, not like it or indifferent? What do you like or not like about it?

Here's some info on the new XO1. Wish it was cheaper but it seems to work as good as XX1 for us so far. XO1 Specs and Info
    I have never tried it personally but my buddy did and said that he really liked it. I am definitely interested in trying it out though...

lamer

Re: 1x11 Poll and Questions

I've demoed a Niner RIP9 RDO and a ROS9 both with XX1. I normally ride a Shimano XTR 1x10 setup on my JET9 RDO, so I certainly enjoyed the 1x part. I also enjoyed having more range with 11 gears. The only thing I didn't like were the SRAM thumb shifters, but that was exacerbated by the fact that both demo bikes had the shifters far to close to the grips. The joint in my thumb would repeatedly hit the upshift button randomly. If I could get Shimano shifters along with the rest of XX1 I'd definitely do it.

mtbr member
    I have it and it's awesome. You just have to make sure you get the right size front ring.

The new XTR will blow it away though.

mtbr member

1x11 Poll and Questions

On my second bike with the xx1 setup and it's really nice! I did snap a chain this past weekend trying to put power down in the wrong gear but quick link kept me moving tried the XX0 on a buddies Salsa and it's sweet as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've not tried 1x11, but I recently returned from some competitions where guys had it.....in fact lots of them. I do orienteering on the MTB. You can have massive open fireroads (usually a lot of these, as they are good quick choices) or steep, technical singletrack. The young guys didn't seem to be slowed down at all by the lack of top-end gearing, but having more range without having to shift chainrings is a big plus.

I will do the XO1 just as soon as my current XX/XO wears out. I have a pretty new XO crankset, which has the benefit of a removable spider which will fit a wolftooth ring nicely....so there's at least one component I don't need to lash out as much on!!

The XO1 seems so close to XX1 in weight I can't see many downsides in 'just' going XO.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    I was very interested in it at first, but just put a SRAM 32t narrow wide on for $50 that gives me the same thing. Works great and much cheaper, no longer interested in the whole group set anymore
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

swag ho Administrator
    Great poll so far. My only problem with 1x11 (aside from the cost) is that only one out of my five bikes in the stable has it? So the other bikes seem like a pain in the rears at times.

I'm actually starting to look back a the year and when thinking about all the products I've seen this year, I think the 1x11 may be the product of the year.

Here are some reasons:
    - less chainslap and almost no dropped chains with no chain guide
    - more useable gear range in the back means shifting is more seamless
    - no gear duplication
    - noticeably lighter
    - no stupid front derailleur which is hard to adjust and doesn't work that well
    - more room on the bars, makes room under the bar for the dropper post
    - rider is always on the correct chainring in the front when on rolling terrain with steep walls
    - on full suspension bikes, the front chainring can always be the right one for the suspension design as most suspensions are usually optimized for just one of the chainrings where they remain neutral under load
    - it allows frame designers to shorten the chainstays when eliminating the front derailleur. This is key for 29er FS.

Agree/disagree? Some of these are kind of a stretch but it's kind of what I think about after rides on 1x11 or switching back to 2x/3x. I think the bike industry has to catch up and design bikes taking advantage of it but it's already happening with the Niner WFO, Norco Sight/Range, Specialized Epic World Cup. Less is more I guess. It's like a singlespeed without the pain.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    - it allows frame designers to shorten the chainstays when eliminating the front derailleur. This is key for 29er FS.

fc
    I could be wrong, but I think we're a long ways away from a bike company designing a frame around 1X drivetrains...
    Would there be enough mass market support/understanding to make it financially feasible for a frame manufacturer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thoughtful comments.

I have a 29er with XO 2x10 and a 27.5 with XX1. I like them both where they are. The niner handles more XC duty and has a lower granny for turning bigger wheels and less HAB when bikepacking. The 275 is more a gravity/play bike.

After 6-7 rides I like it a lot. My inner spinner wants to ditch the 32t for 30, but aside from that no complaints (until I have to replace the cassette?). No front der is dreamy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Less stuff for me to break, yay!

Don't know if my gimp knee could handle it ( running 2x9 22/32/bash with no complaints or issues)

How low a gear can you get with 1x11? I still use the granny here in the north east.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post
    How low a gear can you get with 1x11? I still use the granny here in the north east.
    28/42 on XX1. Well I guess if you can find a 2x crank that you can run a 20-22t small ring and put a small bash where you remove the middle ring and run the XX1 rr derailure etc.
    Last edited by JMac47; 10-02-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: more ifo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've been running XO1 since August and think it's great. It is surprisingly quiet. The lack of chainslap was almost eery. In 250 miles, I haven't dropped a chain yet and haven't had any issues. I will say the 34t on a Bronson (27.5) is a little tall, especially for Tahoe rides. I haven't had to walk anything but it has prevented me from going further. I've also only used the 10 on the cassette maybe once or twice. I believe new chainrings are just now coming available and asked my shop to see if they can get me a 32t.

(aka "grace")
    Less expensive: X01 rear drivetrain with an e.thirteen TRS+ single crankset. I hear they'll have 28t & 30t rings soon. Ibis is using this combo in their X01 builds.

I like the simplicity and quietness.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think we're a long ways away from a bike company designing a frame around 1X drivetrains...
    Would there be enough mass market support/understanding to make it financially feasible for a frame manufacturer?
    The main one doing it is the 2014 Niner WFO. In order for their suspension design to have shortish chainstays with 150 mm of 29er travel, they designed the rear end to work with 1x11 only. With the absence of the front derailleur, they got the chainstays to 17.4 inches with a lot of room for big tires.

Specialized is making a World Cup Edition Epic which has 10mm shorter than usual stays since it is 1x11 only.

And finally, the top end Norco Sight and Range are 1x11 only but they may be for cosmetic reasons. A direct mount tab for the front der is a little ugly if unused.

Any others?

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The main one doing it is the 2014 Niner WFO. In order for their suspension design to have shortish chainstays with 150 mm of 29er travel, they designed the rear end to work with 1x11 only. With the absence of the front derailleur, they got the chainstays to 17.4 inches with a lot of room for big tires.

Specialized is making a World Cup Edition Epic which has 10mm shorter than usual stays since it is 1x11 only.

And finally, the top end Norco Sight and Range are 1x11 only but they may be for cosmetic reasons. A direct mount tab for the front der is a little ugly if unused.

Any others?

fc
    I stand corrected. Cool, didn't know about those examples. Will check them out.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    I stand corrected. Cool, didn't know about those examples. Will check them out.
    Yes, it is pretty unbelievable how fast bike industry has reacted. One thing interesting is that one of the Specialized Enduro 29er's greatest achievement is fitting the front derailleur in that very short chainstay. But in reality, most folks 80-90% will never use a front der on that bike.

Another 1x11 only bike is Lapierre I hear.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I've only been riding since 2010 but within a month of buying my first "decent" entry level bike I was stripping the front down for a 1x8 drivetrain, later becoming a 1x9. I've been 1x10 for a couple years now and its the only way to ride for me, all I know.
    My recent build I'm running X01 cranks, absolute black direct mount no drop ring, and an x9 type 2 rear der.

Its like a poor mans 1x11, total investment of a few hundred bucks, same deal.

Sram's 1x11, and the upcoming Shimano version I'm sure, are brilliant. The horizontal rear der is a great piece of inventive design, and what they've done with the cassette is great.

The only reason I don't have the full 1x11 set up is that I don't need it. I've been running 32t front with 11-36 cassettes and rarely ever even use my 36t cog on the cassette. Where I ride here in Texas its fairly flat and any hills are short enough that you can get speed to blow it up or use your legs and minimize shifting. If I had the 1x11 I probably wouldn't even use the 2 biggest cogs.

I thought about going back to 1x9 for weight/cost/simplicity but to be honest the 10 speed cassettes with newer der shift smoother and I like having more gear options while riding.

To summarize, no drop chain ring with type 2 rear and no chainguide is tits.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have the XX1 and it is the only way to go , I can not believe how good this is .
    The front derailleur is dead than God , its about time !!
    Not to mention no chain slap, no dropped chain no chain suck no ghost shifting .

And you can change front rings with out removing the crank , it does not get any better than this.

This certainly is best product of the year for sure !

The Mountain Bike Life
    No, but I have been running 1x10 for a few years now and love it....going to 11 would just be more of the good stuff. Would love it to come to a better price point but from what I hear that's a ways off if not possible at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I have it and it's awesome. You just have to make sure you get the right size front ring.

The new XTR will blow it away though.
    What is the new XTR? I have been wondering if shimano was just going to sit out and let SRAM run away with things. The hammerschmidt and the 1x11 are both ideas that were a little different, it seems like SRAM was more willing to try new things and got a winner. Anyway I haven't heard anything new form shimano.

mtbr member
    good, now I can get a front derailleur extra cheap because i just bashed the **** out of mine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I myself am running a 1x10 setup using a SRAM x9 type 2 rear, 11-36t cassette paired with the Leonardi Factory Cassette Adapter effectively giving me 11-40 range, and a Wolftooth 32t chainring on a Lenz Sport Leviathan 4.0... I have no regrets in going this route but would really like to see how xx1/x01 rides for a comparison.

The big thing is making sure you're derailleur hanger is straight. I've dumped my bike over in the rocks on the drive side several times requiring an alignment tool to get things back in proper shifting order.

The Mountain Bike Life
    I have heard rumours about XTR as well....I heard 14 for 2014, I will believe it when I see it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast