Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

1X10 Extra tall chainring teeth?

Has anyone found a source for a chainring with extra tall teeth for a 1x10 setup? It seems SRAM solved for requiring a chain guide on the front ring with taller teeth on their 1x11 ring.
    But I dont want to replace the whole drivetrain yet and was hoping some manufacturer makes a 1x10 ring like that.
    The one I've seen that might work is the Rennen 104BCD ring, but it's for BMX. rennen design group :: 104BCD chainring
    Thanks!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    The XX1 ring also has a very different tooth profile, in addition to the height, and the chain is meant to mate with that profile.

I'm betting the aftermarket ring makers will soon follow suit for their single ring options, at least as closely as they can get without getting wonky with SRAM's patents...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

LA CHÈVRE
    Yep, the tooth shape and alternating width is as critical, if not more, to hold the chain without needing a guide than the height of the teeth.

SRAM wants you to also buy the XX1 chain, but the XX1 chainrings hold onto other chains just as well, you only need the XX1 chain if you're using the XX1 cassette. If you have a new-school rear derailleur (SRAM Type-2 or Shimano Shadow+), you wont need a guide. So one could use a XX1 chainring but with a 10 speed chain and a 10 speed cassette, Shimano or SRAM. Even SRAM says the rings are compatible with 9-10-11 speed chains on their website.

I found one company that are showing prototypes of chainrings with XX1-like tooth profiles but without the stupid XX1 proprietary BCD... Wolf Tooth Components. But they're not out yet, they're saying availability is March/April.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi Yuri, what tooth size(s) are you looking for? I'll see what we can come up with.
    Warhawk Industries - Specializing in Stainless Steel, Titanium and Aluminum Chainrings

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: 1X10 Extra tall chainring teeth?

As Dan mentioned, I've heard there are wolf tooth rings out in the wild being tested as of now.

LA CHÈVRE

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    It's true, we have 20+ chainrings "in the wild" right now, check the website for some details. Getting a lot of miles (really hard miles) on and working great so far. First production runs will be ready in a few weeks. These work great and will be available soon. We are huge fans of 1x10 and 1x11 here at Wolf Tooth. We ride it and race it! We can help you with any 1x questions or applications.
    News & Reviews
    wolftoothcomponents.com

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    That's great news Woolftooth. Very interested in a 30T ring. Any crank modifications needed? Also any plans on being at Sea Otter this year to show/sell your new rings?

mtbr member
    No crank modifications needed. Send us an email or watch the website -- should have these ready to ship soon.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I cant wait for this to come out. I'd like chainring that would directly bolt on to Profile racing cranks

mtbr member
    If you have a GXP style XO or X9 crankset.. Take a look at the North Shore Billet chainrings.. I am using one with a Shimano XT Shadow + derailleur, 10 speed chain, and no chainguide...
    North Shore Billet Direct Mount Chainring > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: 1X10 Extra tall chainring teeth?

Wolf tooth components came out with a xx1 style 10 spd chainring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It won't happen, but i need Rotor to release their 34T SS Q-Ring with the XX1 tooth profile so i can use it for 1x10, or 1x11

mtbr member
    I just ordered a 32t 104 bcd from Wolf Tooth to run on my 1x9 set-up with a Zee rear derailleur. Hopefully things thaw and dry up quickly where I'm at so I can give it a real test. Hopefully it works like the XX1 and I can ditch the front chain guide.

mtbr member

Woolftooth

Quote Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
    I just ordered a 32t 104 bcd from Wolf Tooth to run on my 1x9 set-up with a Zee rear derailleur. Hopefully things thaw and dry up quickly where I'm at so I can give it a real test. Hopefully it works like the XX1 and I can ditch the front chain guide.
    This!!!!

I just ordered one too......

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Where are you guys ordering from? I looked on their online store and its not up yet.

mtbr member

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Holy moly $79-86?! Seems like a solid product, but it's too rich for my blood, right now. Hoping to see some real world reviews.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    Holy moly $79-86?! Seems like a solid product, but it's too rich for my blood, right now. Hoping to see some real world reviews.
    Cheaper than a new crank/XX1 replacement rings...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    I think its a fair price especially with all the extra detail to the teeth. In comparision Profile Imperial ring $60-70
    MRP Bling I think above $60 also

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008

1X10 Extra tall chainring teeth?

Blackspire, gamut, e13, rf, hbc, etc single rings all retail around $40 for 104 bcd. These are all cnc in the us or canada. I can understand paying an extra 20 for an innovative tooth design, but not double on an unproven product with an unknown wear life. It should work in theory, but who knows, I might have to run a chain guide anyway, in which case I'd have been better off with a traditional SS ring.

Xx1 rings are about the same price and the crank is almost cheap in comparison at 250. And they are proven. Not saying it's a bad product, or over priced; it's probably not as evidenced by all the orders in this thread. It's just not in my price range right now.

mtbr member
    Not following you logic. XX1 chain rings aren't going for much less than $90 and they have a proprietary bcd. Not sure how they are even a viable option unless you buy the entire crank at $285.

Run any of the single speed rings you mentioned at $40 each plus an MRP or e13 XCX guide at $60-$100 (this is what I have been doing the past 2 years) and you already exceeded the cost of the Wolf Tooth chain ring at $80.

I'm willing to try the chain ring at $80 to avoid the cost of XX1 and drop the front chain guide.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    My point was that if it doesn't work as advertised, then I still need to run the guide, and I've paid a $40 premium for no value added; and we have no idea what the wear life will be. Factor in a XX1 crank is new @ $240-250 (that's the online going rate), you get a much better investment, because 1. it's a proven product with rings that will last at least 2 seasons for me; 2. I'm essentially getting new carbon crank arms for...$160. Which is probably only slightly more than I can get for my xtr crank arms used. That's good value to me. And if I need to replace the rings, well I'm not saving any money sticking with 104 BCD rings. The only advantage I'm seeing is I can keep my current cranks and can run a bash if needed.

mtbr member
    It does work as advertised -- lots of test riders can back that up. Wear life will be pretty much the same as any other 7075 aluminum chainring -- no magic there. Lots of people like their cranks and don't want to change. There are some really great cranks out there that have a strong following but people want the 1x with no guide advantage. Shimano M985 is one example. Our chainrings are not for everyone but they are a great product for those that want options.
    Mostly we just want to see more people taking advantage of 1x drivetrains
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    will the wolftooth direct mount chainring also be made for a sram X0 bb30 crank?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast