mtbr member
    Sep 2008

1x10 and derailleur cage length

So I've read only that I should use a short or medium cage derailleur with my 1x10 setup. Right now, I've got a long cage X9 Type 2 that I used on my 2x10, but have converted over to 1x10.

Question is WHY do I need a short cage. What benefit will it provide me? I can sell my long cage and pick up a short/medium, but before I do that, I wanted to make sure that it will actually make a difference for me.

-Tom

A Man Of The Truth
    Short cage derailer gives you less metal hanging off your bike. Less derailer material, and a shorter chain. And the material you do have is closer to the content point. Meaning with a long cage derailer, the weight of derailer and chain has much more leverage as it's bouncing around. With a short cage, everything is tighter. To me, being able to go short cage is the primary advantage of going 1x9/10. That's the main reason I went to a 1-by drive train.

Generally, if you have one chainring, you want short cage. Two, you want mid cage, and three, you want long cage. The shorter the better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    Generally, if you have one chainring, you want short cage. Two, you want mid cage, and three, you want long cage. The shorter the better.
    This was true when cassettes only went up to 32T but the newer wide range cassettes need a mid derailleur at least to keep chain tension in the small cogs.

Derailleurs are rated to a certain capacity or range of gearing, it's best not to exceed the capacity. From wikipedia, but dated as these were the capacities of 9 speed derailleurs, not sure if it's the same: Shimano long = 45T; medium = 33T SRAM long = 43T; medium = 37T; short = 30T. FWIW, I used 9spd X9 derailleurs on a few bikes with 11-34T cassettes with no problem.

Shorter derailleur cages flex less so supposedly they shift better, I just like that they have a ton more ground clearance, are lighter, and look better. Not sure about the type 2 derailleurs but SRAM RDs used to be very easy to source and replace the derailleur cages, might be cheaper than getting a whole new derailleur and dealing with selling.

A Man Of The Truth
    I ride a 32t chainring and an 11-36 cassette, and my short cage x.9 is a perfect fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I have a xo 1x10 type 2, 11-36 cassette 34t chainring. Mid cage for sure, recommended by sram and lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Why mid cage? The SRAM Type 2 X9 (not sure about X0) supports up to 30 teeth. 11-36 = 25 teeth.

edit: I just called SRAM and they said "Yup, 1x10 with 11-36 cassette = short cage Type 2 derailleur"

-Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Up to 30t overall, not a 30t difference.

mtbr member
    I've got no experience with running 10 speed on anything but my road bike but it seems like all the 1x10 setups use mid cage RDs. Most likely because the bikes come that way from the factory and folks just ditch a chainring to go 1x10 with their existing RD.

I know that Shimano Saint and Zee have short cage derailleurs rated for 11-36 or 11-28 with different parallelogram geometry. Not sure at all with SRAM but their customer service is always helpful if you wanted to contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker831 View Post
    Up to 30t overall, not a 30t difference.
    Actually SRAM tech support says 30t difference

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Interesting. I was told with sram unless your using a dh or road cassette (30t or less) and with a fs bike that I needed a mid cage. Good to know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Maybe I should call again and get a different person to see what the 3rd SRAM opinion is

mtbr member
    It's definitely about the difference between the longest (big-big) and shortest (small-small) combo of chainrings and sprockets. In case of 1xsomething setup, the chainring can be ignored and cassette range is your primary concern when choosing a cage length. 36-11=25, well within the specified capacity of a short derailleur.

One thing to note is that full suspension bikes have a longer distance between the BB and rear hub when the rear suspension is compressed, so consider this when setting your chain length.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post

Maybe I should call again and get a different person to see what the 3rd SRAM opinion is
    don't bother... mtnbiker83 and his source are wrong. you are right. if you're going with a new RD, get a short cage type 2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Short cage derailer gives you less metal hanging off your bike. Less derailer material, and a shorter chain. And the material you do have is closer to the content point. Meaning with a long cage derailer, the weight of derailer and chain has much more leverage as it's bouncing around. With a short cage, everything is tighter. To me, being able to go short cage is the primary advantage of going 1x9/10. That's the main reason I went to a 1-by drive train.

Chain length do not depend on RD cage length

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vanamees View Post
    Chain length do not depend on RD cage length
    Does for old school wrenches that size chains based on derailleur angle versus big/big +2 that most newer mechanics follow for chain sizing. The older method sometimes ends up with a link or two longer than the new-school method.

If I had a FS bike with a lot of chain growth, I might consider running a slightly longer cage to take up the slack caused by being high in the travel and in small cogs . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    With an exception of some _very few_ frames with lots of chain growth pretty much any short cage mech will work in 1x10 when coupled to 11-36 cassette.

I have successfully used short cage mech with a custom 11-38 cassette

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Less derailer material, and a shorter chain.
    I usually adjust chain length to fit biggest rings combo - at full compression if it is a FS frame with chain growth. Than add a couple links. How does cage length figure into that?

Zee derailleur - with clutch - works great with 1 by 11-36.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Long cage derailleurs are used for 3x10 because they are long enough to cover for the difference in chain slack between the inner and outer gears up front. The issue is the chain slap that can happen when using the granny gears.

I wouldn't worry about using a long cage on a 1x10 set up so long as you have the proper chain length.

mtbr member
    Nm.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    With an exception of some _very few_ frames with lots of chain growth pretty much any short cage mech will work in 1x10 when coupled to 11-36 cassette.
    I would tend to agree since I am running a short cage on a 2 x 10, 120mm full-suspension bike with zero problems. 24/36 up front and 11/36 in back. I knew it was borderline, but decided that I would go for it and upsize the 24t granny ring if I needed to. When I am in small-small (which I don't intentionally do) the derailleur is folded all the way up, and the chain is just very slightly loose, but it's never come off.
    Last edited by JACKL; 02-07-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    This was true when cassettes only went up to 32T but the newer wide range cassettes need a mid derailleur at least to keep chain tension in the small cogs.
    This has been indirectly addressed, but I wanted to reiterate that the above is not correct (sorry, scoob). Many short-cage derailleurs can handle the 25T difference in an 11-36T cassette.

For example, Shimano offers its short-cage Zee derailleurs in two models, one of which can accommodate an 11-36T cassette. Always check with the vendor/manufacturer before purchasing, of course.

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I usually adjust chain length to fit biggest rings combo - at full compression if it is a FS frame with chain growth. Than add a couple links. How does cage length figure into that?

Zee derailleur - with clutch - works great with 1 by 11-36.
    I'm really not sure what your asking?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I'm really not sure what your asking?
    I was not asking. I was telling that I use exact same chain length (to accommodate big-big combo) independent of derailleur cage.