mtbr member

1x10 chainring lifespan?

Just wondering if anybody had an idea what a ballpark number mileage-wise should a single chainring last. My current one is starting to "sharkfin" a bit and since I'm replacing the chain and cassette it's getting replaced too. The chainring has 911miles on it. Does that seem like a decent lifespan?
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    I got 1800 miles out of an XX1 ring.

Two chains worth, the chains showed very little "stretch" when replaced, and the cassette was still going strong at 1800 miles when I sold the bike.

I flipped the XX1 ring inside-out and ran it successfully for another 200 miles.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

Trouser Malfunction
    Smaller chainrings will wear a bit faster, more torque to multiply at the crank. A larger chainring (34T+) will as a rule of thumb isolate secondary compression-forces more better within rear suspension.
    Kyle died accidentally while masturbating.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Forever...
    As mentioned the more teeth the longer it will last.
    900 miles sounds super short to me

I've got a single TA ring with 3000+ miles and it still works fine.

mtbr member

1x10 chainring lifespan?

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Forever...
    As mentioned the more teeth the longer it will last.
    900 miles sounds super short to me

I've got a single TA ring with 3000+ miles and it still works fine.
    Mine is 30T. I'm guessing I could keep riding it for awhile longer. I think the chain is way stretched and is the bigger issue. But since m replacing the chain and cassette figured I might as well change it now.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Chainring life is just an unpredictable thing, Ive seen them with 3000+ miles before wear and as little as 400 miles. Depends on riding style, the bike iteself and environment. A rider who accelerates hard will stretch a chain and cause more wear than someone who rides casual, lower end components with cheaper alloys can cause funky wear in the drivetrain, You could have a high end cassette, der and crank and a cheap chain will wear them faster. Water/Rain can cause microscopic rust, and dirt/sand and mud in the trails factor in to. So a light casual XC rider could get 2-3000 miles on thier bike, and someone who rides hard over rougher terrain may only get 1000. Anyway this long winded rant just basically says no way to calculate it. LOL

I will say one thing, I change my chain around 4-500 miles, Its cheap enough to do and it does add more life to the rest of the drivetrain. A stretched chain wears out things faster than a new one, and at that little mileage the teeth havn't started to wear to the stretch quite yet. If that makes sense to you.
    Last edited by Thumpy69; 08-02-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: After thought
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One thing to mention is that if you are riding single ring then you don't need the light weight alloy ones with fancy ramps. I know they exist for singlespeeders but now 1 x 10 is becoming popular the dedicated chainrings must be available too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pascale27 View Post
    Mine is 30T. I'm guessing I could keep riding it for awhile longer. I think the chain is way stretched and is the bigger issue. But since m replacing the chain and cassette figured I might as well change it now.
    That's a good idea, as stretched chains cause premature wear on more potentially costly components such as chainrings, cassette, and even derailer jockey wheels because the chain no longer "spaces" correctly when contacting said components. I change my chain at least once per season, usually twice, but the only way to KNOW when it needs replacing is to use a chain wear gauge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I bought my bike with the prior owner quoting 400 miles of use on it and I put about 500 on it before replacing the chain and it didn't even have 1/8" stretch for the whole length of the chain. I don't ride hard but I'm 240lbs so a fair amount of strain gets put on it...

Anyway, if there was a rule of thumb I have always heard you'll usually go through 2 chains per cassette replacement and 3 chain replacements per set of chainrings. Probably more frequent for 1x chainring setups.