XXIX

1x10 Chain length

How many links should I take out now that I have set up 1x10.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Depends on what the 1 in 1x10 is. If you kept the outer (larger) chainring then you keep the same length chain. If the chainring is now smaller than the old outer, then you can cut the chain.

Start fresh and measure the same way as always. It has to be long enough to loop the chainring and largest cassette sprocket plus 1" (or 2 links). Since you now have only one ring, you can afford to let it be longer than the minimum up to what the Rd can take up on the smallest sprocket.

My personal preference is to leave chains on the long side of what's possible. That allows me to cut out a damaged link if I ever have to.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Plays with tools
    Do you know how to size a chain?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Carpenters say "measure twice, cut once" I tell people "measure twice, cut twice". My method is to wrap the chain around the chainring and biggest cog on the cassette, but not through the derailleur, and bring the two ends together. Then I add three sections (2 segments each, inner and outer) and cut there. If there is still excessive chainslap then I might take out one more section (again, 2 segments).

Running a chain that is too short puts a lot stress on the chain, derailleur pulleys, and chainguide (if it has a lower retention portion).
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

XXIX
    Sorry more info would have helped. I swapped out a 33t to a 32t guide ring. Thanks for the help and info.

Sent from my X10a

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the same question, I am setting up a 1 x 10 with 33T with a medium rear derail and 11/36 cass. I just bought a 1071 sram chain 114links. What should I cut it down to? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    I have the same question, I am setting up a 1 x 10 with 33T with a medium rear derail and 11/36 cass. I just bought a 1071 sram chain 114links. What should I cut it down to? Thanks!
    Can't answer because a key dimension is the chainstay length. Instead of doing it by formula, loop the chain around the two largest sprockets without threading the RD and measure 1" overlap and mark the next link. That's the MINIMUM length.

Now thread the chain through the RD, and bring it together towhere the RD first takes up tension. That's the MAXIMUM length. Anything between the two is OK.

I usually set chains up no more than 1" short of the maximum length, so if any link is ever damaged, I can cut it out and splice with a connector. In essence,I'm carrying spare links with me, already in the chain.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

NedwannaB
    Keeping this going, is there a general difference in sizing chains for 1x on a hard tail vs full suspension? Granted drastic susp design may come into play.

Thanks in advance.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Good question incase it matters I am running a hard tail.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Keeping this going, is there a general difference in sizing chains for 1x on a hard tail vs full suspension? Granted drastic susp design may come into play.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post

Thanks in advance.
    It depends on the suspension, but most affect chain length somewhat, so I add a bit more chain to the minimum to be sure, or if I know how the travel affects length, measure the minimum chain at the longest position.

BTW- with 1x? arrangements, there's usually plenty of latitude on chain length since you don't have to account for chainring differences of 12-24 teeth. Even a wide 11-34 cassette is only 23t of difference, which is well within the range of even short cage road derailleurs.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    SRAM Chain manual .. how to set chain length Page 7
    http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...nual-rev-a.pdf

Shimano tech manual says exactly the same.

Wrap chain around two biggest cogs missing out the rear derail and overlap 1-2 links, cut here and run it through your derail and join, your rear derail takes up the slack.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
    SRAM Chain manual .. how to set chain length Page 7
    http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...nual-rev-a.pdf

Shimano tech manual says exactly the same.

Wrap chain around two biggest cogs missing out the rear derail and overlap 1-2 links, cut here and run it through your derail and join, your rear derail takes up the slack.
    I really don't like this method. Normally I'm all about doing things the way the manufacture says to. But this method ignores changes in gearing, which are very common for some people. I run the chain small/small and shorten just enough so the chain clears itself. It doesn't hurt anything to have an extra length in the chain and it can make your life a lot easier the one time a year you decide you need some lower gearing from some special event.