mtbr member
    May 2011

1X10 with 9 speed Shimano XT 32t crank

I decided to play around with my current 2X9 (Shimano XT Crankset FC-M770 and shimano XT11-34t) and i noticed 1X9 is def doable as that is what i have been running with zero issues..however, having a 36t cassette would be nice. So i decided to size everything up and i noticed there will be chain rub on my bash guard if i went with a 1X10 setup utilizing my 9 speed crank (as many others have).

is it better to remove the 11T and run a 1X9 with a 36t or purchase the 10 speed rear derailleur and cassette (11-36)? what has everybody experienced in regards to? thanks

mtbr member
    the gear spacing is wrong between the cogs so you cannot remove the smallest cog on a 10 speed cassette and have a 9 speed cassette that works properly. 10 and 9 (and 8) speed cassettes are the same total width, they just have tighter spacing and narrower chains.

It would be far more impactful to use 2 less teeth on your chainring if you need more gear. Or even 4 less. 28x11 is pretty fast for trail use. You can spin to approx 20mph, and coast if/when you get going faster than that. Obviously it wouldn't work for XC racing.

I would use an online gear calculator and have a look at how little it matters going from 34 to 36, even on a single (I assume 32 chainring). Use this one and make your 11-34 9 spd cassette, then add a 36T 10th cog, and setup a triple with 28/30/32. This is of course not a real drivetrain, but it will show you the gear inches, speed, etc offered by the combinations I suggested.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    gotcha. i played around with the gear calculator..and it seems to be a subtle difference for sure. So i am curious as to why many went from 9 speed to 10? im guessing the same reasons why they changed from 8 to 9?

Now when i toss in the 30T Chainring option, that changes things up a bit..I saw that Widget 30T chainring and that changes my gear ratio from 25.0 to 23.5, meanwhile if i went from a 9 speed to 10 in the rear, it goes from 25 to 23.7. the 30T option may be lighter all depending how much that chainring weighs in comparison to the extra weight of a 10 speed cassette (37 grams). I also will still need to sport a bash guard, but on those widgets you can remove the outer chain guide and replace with bashguard, such as a ethirteen and so on.

now i might lose some DH speed..looks like that changes a bit in comparison to. from 21MPH to 23MPH...but going downhill is mostly coasting anyhow and i only find myself pedaling through the flats and so on..BUT that widget is 150 bucks approx :0 thats a whole lot of cash just for a chainring! thing better be light, or damn near indestructible lol

but after pricing out the 1X10 total setup, thats 200 bucks approx. maybe this might be a cheaper alternative? or maybe even considering supplements to help speed up my endurance, which can also be around 100 bucks every 30 days or so, depending how often i ride LOL

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just researched this 30T option for MUCH less than the widget option and it also weighs a lot less as well, and im hoping it can be used with my Ethirteen bashguard. seems like the cheaper best alternative and i could even upgrade to a 1X10 down the line if need be in conjunction with, which i doubt i ever would considering.

Product Info Andersen Machine's Blog

mtbr member
    You don't want ramps & pins on a single chainring. You should be able to find a 30T straight ring in the right bold circle diameter, at least race face or fsa if not shimano.
    Last edited by ColinL; 12-01-2012 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    could not find a race face or FSA 30t chainring with 104mm BCD...except for the ring i posted above and the widget

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    You don't want ramps & pins on a single chainring. You should be able to find a 30T straight ring in the right bold circle diameter, at least race face or fsa if not shimano.

ordered a new 30t chainring that is hard ano without ramps and pins. the tooth profile being more robust and offset about 1mm towards the inside for a better chain line and more spider arm clearance. bolts and bushings were also supplied to install a Ethirteen turbo bash guard. will post pics upon arrival.

mtbr member
    sounds pretty awesome. might as well open a new thread for that stuff... people have stopped reading this one.