Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1x10 2x10 3x10

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
Forgive the noob bit, but I am getting back into the technologies of MTBs after about 15 years and I could not find a good pro/con for the subject.

Besides weight reduction, what is the benefit for 1x10, 2x10 or 3x10?

Is it just a rider preference? Task at hand ie climbing, speed, mix?

Do you actually reduce redundancy in gears by going to a 2x10 from a 3x10?

Thoughts?

Cheers.

#2 ·
1x10 + simplicity due to no FD/shifter. Expect to walk the steeps and spin out a bit the downs

2x10 = race type setup, not the full top or low end of a 3x but close. For strong riders, but a 2x10 by dropping the large ring of a 3x is good for hilly areas

3x10 = overkill usually unless you live in hilly areas, especially with the Shimano Dynasys version where there are more overlapping gears now.

#3 ·
AlexRandall said:
1x10 + simplicity due to no FD/shifter. Expect to walk the steeps and spin out a bit the downs

2x10 = race type setup, not the full top or low end of a 3x but close. For strong riders, but a 2x10 by dropping the large ring of a 3x is good for hilly areas

3x10 = overkill usually unless you live in hilly areas, especially with the Shimano Dynasys version where there are more overlapping gears now.
2X. Great summary.

Personal observation: I have a 1 x 9 hardtail and a 3 x 9 dual suspension. The 3 x 9 has 3 lower gears than the 1 x 9 (32T crank) and therefore is used when hills are long, steep or both. There are lots of them around where I live.

But riding the 1 x 9 also showed me how little I ever used the 44T big ring on the triple. So I swapped the 44T for a bash, and now run bash - 32 - 22 instead of a triple, as AlexRandall mentioned above.

That is a great compromise for gearing and something I recommend you check out

#4 ·
AlexRandall said:

Good summary on the 2x and 3x. Don't completely agree on the 1x10 summary though. It completely depends on where you live and what chainring size you use. Where I live I can ride a 36t chainring up front, and never spin out, and have only had to walk once and everyone was walking. Raced this setup all over Texas, a race in LA, and nationals up in Colorado.
But like I said depends on what size chainring you can push, if you live in the mountains or not, etc.

#5 ·
AlexRandall said:

2xwhatever can also just be a 3x crank with the big ring removed. Increases ground clearance and you only lose the 2 highest ratios. Great for most trail riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.