Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

170mm vs 175mm cranks

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Squash 
#1 ·
I've been using 175s since I've been mtn biking about 6 years.
I'm 5'6" and just picked up a 170 crankset. I know it's about 3 % less torque, leverage but does it really make a difference? I always seem to bash the 175's. I figured I can live without the 3% leverage and make up for it in the gears.

#2 ·
There's no magic....

length for cranks. If you go by what one school of thought, we're all riding cranks that are too short anyway. The big key is what works for you. If a 5mm shorter crank keeps you from bashing the pedals, and you can still get proper leg extension, I don't think you'll notice it that much if at all. If you were racing on a road bike or MTB where every erg of energy needs to be conserved and managed then maybe it would be an issue. Most off road riding requires a compromise between performance and equipment that will work with the terrain and riding style. If it didn't we'd all be riding 20lb wonder bikes and wearing spandex! :D So you might have to go one gear lower to compensate for that 3% lower leverage, if it helps with the banging of the pedals (which can be a real performance detractor), I'd say it was a good compromise that will actually enhance performance rather than detract from it. Will you notice it? maybe on the really long climbs, but if it allows you the clearance to keep pedaling though some of the knarlier sections then you made a good choice IMHO.

Good Dirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.