mtbr member
    May 2004

170 mm cranks solve low BB issues???

My Klein Adept is haunted with a low bottombracket resulting in several pedal/cranks strikes against rocks and roots etc. The current set-up is with 175 mm cranks, will installing 170 mm cranks help solved this issue? Thanks

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by strat337
    My Klein Adept is haunted with a low bottombracket resulting in several pedal/cranks strikes against rocks and roots etc. The current set-up is with 175 mm cranks, will installing 170 mm cranks help solved this issue? Thanks
    I have one bike with 170's and another with 175's. I don't feel any noticeable pedaling difference between the two crank lengths. The 170's will gain about 5mm (a little less than a 1/4-inch) of pedal clearance over rocks, etc. I've hit both cranks on rocks before, so I don't know that the extra 5mm of clearance is really worth the cost of changing the cranks. If you're going to change them anyways for some other reason, then maybe trying the shorter ones to find out if they help you or not would make sense to me.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by strat337
    no way.

lets say you would prefer at least even a 0.5" higher bottom bracket, in order for cranks to help in that regard you would need to go from 175mm arms to 162mm arms and my guess is, you may want even more than 0.5" higher so definitely dont waste your money, especially if you are of average height or taller since more importantly you may screw your pedaling up.

use this as an excuse to buy a new bike (i know, easy for me to say but I had to say it )

cheers

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the info. A new bike is out of the question for now but how much could my pedal stroke be messed up with the shorter cranks? How does the short crank affect performance. I have plenty of seatpost to rise to make up for the shorter cranks but don't know if I am risking too much. Thanks again.