What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004

12-36 9 speed Shimano cassette with SRAM X9 rear derailleur?

Anybody know if the SRAM X9 rear derailleur is compatible with the Shimano HG61 12-36 9 speed cassette? I'm being told that the only rear derailleur that can be used with that cassette is a Shimano shadow style derailleur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm running 9 speed with a 12-36 HG61 with X7 rear derailleur on 2 bikes - all my 1X9s are setup this way.

pedal pusher
    OP, you're being told wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The spec for both SRAM and Shimano 9 speed rear derailleurs says that maximum cog size is 34 so in theory what you were told is correct. But they work fine with the 36. Mine shift perfectly with the X7, haven't tried it yet with my SLX but lots of people doing it.

mtbr member
    Worked fine with my non-shadow XT 9spd.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    The 9-speed Deore Shadow M592 is rated for 36t by Shimano. It has the same cage as SLX, except Deore has both sides of the cage steel. I am guessing the 36t was not out when the M772 or M662 were released. See the attached screenshot of the M592 before it was replaced by Shimano with the M593 10-speed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A Man Of The Truth
    I'm using the Shimano 12-36 cassette with a SRAM x.9 derailer. I took the 11t cog off an old cassette and replaced the 12t with it. So my last gear shift is a little steep, but it gives me good range. I only had one issue with the 12-36, one time the gear caught that little tab on the derailer cage and yanked off my derailer hanger. So I removed that little tab with a pair of pliers. It's been smooth sailing ever since. Highly recommended. It's the poor man's 1x10

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    Wouldn't it me nice if we could buy an XT quality 11 or 12-36 Cassette for 9-speed. I thought about asking via petition for one from the major companies, but the friendlies on the two niner board practically beat me over the head for even suggesting the idea. I should be so foolish not to take planned obsolescence and like it the way they do... lol....
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster View Post
    Wouldn't it me nice if we could buy an XT quality 11 or 12-36 Cassette for 9-speed. I thought about asking via petition for one from the major companies, but the friendlies on the two niner board practically beat me over the head for even suggesting the idea. I should be so foolish not to take planned obsolescence and like it the way they do... lol....
    Is there something wrong with shimano's current 12-36? I've been using it as an 11-36 for a solid half season. If anything, I wish shimano made short cage versions of all its popular lx/xt/shadow derailers. I'm not a huge fan of the feel of the SRAM shifters, or how far the derailers stick out.

Up the Irons
    Anyone try the 12-36 HG61 with a 9 speed XTR rear derailleur? Does that rub on the 36t cog? I want to try this but don't want to buy the cassette and find out it doesn't work.