Thread: 12-28 Cassette?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

12-28 Cassette?

Recommendations on Shimano-compatible Ti or steel 11-28 or 12-28 cassettes?
    Thanks,
    ~ Blacky

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Shimano Ultegra CS6500 comes in a 12-27 (and its a great cassette)

I'm also a big fan of SRAM cassettes but they jump from 12-26 to 11-32

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Is the Ultegra compatible with the mountain (XT, XTR) hubs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It will be fine... spacing and spline pattern is the same.

Keep in mind though, that the parallelogram on mountain dérailleurs are generally designed to follow the shape of "typical" mountain bike cassette, so with a road cassette the pulley may get farther away from the cluster than would be desirable in the lower gears. However, on a 12-27 I don't think you'd notice much of a difference, with a 11-23 you might.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cool. Thanks. I'm running an XT 11-32 now and it may as well be an 8 speed--I never need more than the 28.

Shimano 105 comes in a 12-28, Interloc Racing offers one, google is good.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mbtr member
    i would think tighter ratios would just be irritating- have to change more gears to adjust to terrain. I guess everyone has their own style, but it seems like 1x9 would be a good alternative to a tight ratio cassette. Not to mention that 11-12 jump is a big one that you lose by going to the ultegra.

i have nothing to contribute.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

asymmetryrtemmysa
    Apr 2004
    Why not go with Shimano XT 11-28 (M737 series)?

That's pretty much the standard and as far as I can tell they are still available.

Less than 250g, steel, and with the large cogs on a spider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Best option is probably new Shimano SLX cassette HG80 which comes also in 11-28

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    M-737 is an 8-speed cogset. HG80 doesn't appear to be available in the US, although I suspect it's another designation for the M770.

[QUOTE=scottzg] "i would think tighter ratios would just be irritating- have to change more gears to adjust to terrain. I guess everyone has their own style, but it seems like 1x9 would be a good alternative to a tight ratio cassette. Not to mention that 11-12 jump is a big one that you lose by going to the ultegra."

By that logic we should still be riding 7 or 8-speed drivetrains. 2 cog-difference shifting gives a much smoother, more intuitive shift. That's why the roadies ride "corncob" (10-speed 11-21) cogsets: The Rapid Fire shifters let you smoothly jump 3 cogs at a time if you need to grab a bigger gear. My ideal XC cogset would be: 12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28.

Since 90% of my riding is hills, the cogs that get the most wear on my XT M770 11-32 cassette are 21 and 24. Anyone have any experience with the Ti sets that allow individual cog replacement?

Thanks!
    ~ Blacky

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackbear
    My ideal XC cogset would be: 12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28.
    You may already know, but the change in ratio from 12-14 is much larger than from 26-28. So, that 11t cog you're giving up cuts a much larger chunk of gear range than 1 tooth would suggest.

Roadies are on the road, where grades are longer, they're not gonna lose traction, and there isn't as much debris in their way. It makes more sense to shift to exactly the right cadence when you're gonna be there for the next half mile.

Yeah, we should totally be running 7 or 8 speed; wider chains, stronger wheels, less fussy derailleur tuning, i'd happily lose a couple ratios for that.

totally not trying to start an argument, just voicing my opinion.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    You may already know, but the change in ratio from 12-14 is much larger than from 26-28. So, that 11t cog you're giving up cuts a much larger chunk of gear range than 1 tooth would suggest.

Roadies are on the road, where grades are longer, they're not gonna lose traction, and there isn't as much debris in their way. It makes more sense to shift to exactly the right cadence when you're gonna be there for the next half mile.

Yeah, we should totally be running 7 or 8 speed; wider chains, stronger wheels, less fussy derailleur tuning, i'd happily lose a couple ratios for that.

totally not trying to start an argument, just voicing my opinion.
    Hey Scott,

None (argument) taken. Excellent point about the 12-14. I probably would miss it. I thought I might not because my ride has me routinely coasting at 30+ mph.

I am, effectively, running an 8-speed, given I almost never use the 32. As long as I have the extra gear (and the issues it entails), would like to use it. And, yeah, my roadie roots are showing. I switched when I moved to LA. But I gotta' say I think I have a couple of grades in the Santa Monica Mountains that would get your attention.

~ Blacky