Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

11x32 vs 11x34

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  dan0 
#1 ·
Other than the big cog, are there differences in the gearing of the other cogs?

#4 ·
RJend said:
Thanks - I'm getting hammered on the climbs by a 29'r and I suspect that his extra 2 cogs is what is giving him the advantage.
The gearing still won't be identical to the 29er running the same chainrings and cogs, assuming you're on a 26er, in that the size of the wheel is part of the equation.

#8 ·
Compare the two bikes drivetrian and suspension design then start asking questions at your local bike shop. Some suspension designs are better that others to back this up I had a cannondale rush 5 and now a mongoose teocali super. If both bikes had same drivetrain the mongoose wins on climbing because of the suspension design; freedrive is great!!!

#10 · (Edited)
heres a chart showing how much farther you go on a 29er with 1 pedal stroke same gearing

as you can see middle /granny combo is giving the 29er an extra 8" with each pedal stroke
big/granny 9" and granny/granny 5"
as you move off the granny the difference gets alot bigger, if he's running middle middle he's getting 16" farther away with each stroke

#12 ·
RJend said:
Thanks - I'm getting hammered on the climbs by a 29'r and I suspect that his extra 2 cogs is what is giving him the advantage.
What's giving him an advantage is his motor, not his gearing. Say he's climbing in a 32/24, that's 38.7 gear inches. You can use your 22/15 which is 38.1 gear inches or your 32/23 which is 36.2 gear inches and be climbing in essentially the same gear. If he's pulling away it's because he's stronger. Even if he's in his lowest gear 22/32 you've got a gear to match him so no excuses. Now, if he pulls away on the flats that could be a different story. He can push his 44/11 to a higher top speed than you can because he's got bigger wheels, assuming you're both equal in power but for climbing the only advantage he has over you is he's stronger.

#14 ·
herbn said:
what is that supposed to be? a chart of differences? if they both have 11"s the difference would be zero(.zero.)
it is how much further a 29er wheel rolls with one revolution of the crank. The difference is never zero because the 29er wheel has a larger circumference, so the same amount of rotation at the hub is translated into more distance moved around the circumference

#17 · (Edited)
meloh1 said:
What's giving him an advantage is his motor, not his gearing. Say he's climbing in a 32/24, that's 38.7 gear inches. You can use your 22/15 which is 38.1 gear inches or your 32/23 which is 36.2 gear inches and be climbing in essentially the same gear. If he's pulling away it's because he's stronger. Even if he's in his lowest gear 22/32 you've got a gear to match him so no excuses. Now, if he pulls away on the flats that could be a different story. He can push his 44/11 to a higher top speed than you can because he's got bigger wheels, assuming you're both equal in power but for climbing the only advantage he has over you is he's stronger.
This is valid theory. However, when we rode together with 26" and equal gearing, he had no advantage on the climbs. Now, even with his 29'r, I out pace him on the flats, but I usually have to tab on the climbs before the crest. The climbs we ride are short, usually less than 30 feet, but appear to be straight up and you're not on them for more than a few seconds (unless you tab out:mad: ). In those few seconds there is only opportunity to drop 1 or 2 gears so we're usually both in 2/3 or 2/4 but he has a 2 cog advantage.

#18 ·
RJend said:
This is valid theory. However, when we rode together with 26" and equal gearing, he had no advantage on the climbs. Now, even with his 29'r, I out pace him on the flats, but I usually have to tab on the climbs before the crest. The climbs we ride are short, usually less than 30 feet, but appear to be straight up and you're not on them for more than a few seconds (unless you tab out:mad: ). In those few seconds there is only opportunity to drop 1 or 2 gears so we're usually both in 2/3 or 2/4 but he has a 2 cog advantage.
so why dont you shift up? his 2 cog advantage requires more strength to push just like you in a higher gear

#21 ·
RJend said:
Both riders in 2/3 or 2/4 gives the 11x34 biker a 1 cog (lower gear/EASIER push) advantage. Going uphill, I generaly shift down - not up.
What's a 2/3 or 2/4? Meaningless without knowing what specific chainrings and cogset you're using (or he's using). Maybe you just need more than 30 ft climbs...

#22 ·
RJend said:
Both riders in 2/3 or 2/4 gives the 11x34 biker a 1 cog (lower gear/EASIER push) advantage. Going uphill, I generaly shift down - not up.
Just shift to whatever gear comes closest to his and he has no mechanical advantage. Face it, his advantage is he's a better climber. No change in gearing will fix your problem. Training will.

#23 ·
Yogii said:
So why don't you get a 29'r and dust him??????
For those short steep climbs he carries more momentum and the bottom and that translates into getting to the top faster. If the climbs were longer, the better motor wins.
Changing rides might be an option and changed gearing is also possible, but I haven't figured how to lengthen the climbs :rolleyes:

#25 ·
RJend said:
well if youre getting beat up the hill shifting down will only make you slower, if you want to catch or beat the other rider you need to shift up
for a 26" rider to keep up with a 29" rider you need to either pedal faster than the 29" rider or shift up a gear or 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.