Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm 11-40T/42T conversion: OneUp vs. Wolf Tooth vs. Hope

Now we have two similar products to create a cheap 1x conversion with 11-42T cassette for sram and shimano. Full shimano 11-42 drivetrain, dream comes true!

OneUp Components 40T/42T Sprocket
    Wolf Tooth Components 42T Giant Cog

There is also the general lee cassette, which replaces 4 cogs and cost twice, let's leave it out now due to cost.

What it looks to me so far comparing the two, the wolf tooth has many advantages:

1. No spacer, dedicated models for SRAM and Shimano. Should create wider cog-freehub interface. Less freehub wear, better.
    2. 42T: $90 vs $100, $10 cheaper. 40T, same cost ($90)
    3. Comes with extra long B tension screw in case your derailleur does not have enough clearance from the 42T cog on the original screw.
    4. Known reputation and highly regarded.
    5. Looks like more teeth shaping, should aid shifting.

That's what I can tell from the web pages. Looks like Wolf Tooth is a better choice.

OneUp still has a major advantage: 40T as well as 42T.

Did you install it and how is it working?

Updates:

Hope 40 T-Rex Adapter
    • $90
    • Sram and Shimano specific cogs with no spacers
    • 4 shifting gates instead of 6 on WT and OneUp
    • From reports Shimano derailleurs have more problems dealing with 42T cogs than sram. 40T may be a better option for shimano users.

Post your setup for other to know
    • Frame model and year
    • Derailleur model and cage size
    • Cassette & chain
    • How it works
    Last edited by CrozCountry; 03-09-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added Hope 40T

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    wolftooth is domestically manufactured, and they're great people.

oneup appears to be a canadian co (with offshore manufacturing), but the who's and where's are all shrouded in secrecy for some reason; bit of a faceless company.

both seem to be solid products, but i gave my $ to wolftooth based on above.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Went with Wolftooth. US company with US manufacturing and still a better price. I guess unless you need the versatility (Shimano/SRAM) or green ano...there isn't much reason to go with 1up unless they undercut WT. Even then if the price is close for equal or better product I'm buying US over overseas.

No review since I don't have it yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    What it looks to me so far comparing the two, the wolf tooth has many advantages:

1. No spacer, dedicated models for SRAM and Shimano. Should create wider cog-freehub interface. Less freehub wear, better.
    2. $90 vs $100, $10 cheaper.
    3. Comes with extra long B tension screw in case your derailleur does not have enough clearance from the 42T cog on the original screw.
    These are my exact thoughts. I'm waiting for the Sram versions to become available and more reviews to pop up before making any decisions, though.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Nuts
    I like how WT is making the shift ramps to match the cassettes, not just a one fits all. Mine is in the mail as we speak.
    And I love beer!!

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I like how WT is making the shift ramps to match the cassettes, not just a one fits all. Mine is in the mail as we speak.
    Placed a pre-order as well.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    OneUp is from so cal...at least thats where my cog shipped from.

The cassette specific cog seems like marketing to me. WT's way to one up OneUp. There has been many reviews on the OU 42t and nobody has mentioned poor shifting.

I can see WT making different cogs because of the different spacing with Shimano and SRAM cassettes so you don't have to use shims like with the OU. Unless there is some kind of comparison where is shows a discernable difference between the Shimano and SRAM specific cogs...its all marketing.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: 11-42T conversion: OneUp vs. Wolf Tooth

What about absolute black? They have a 40t coming, that would be my choice, because of the size.

I have a WT 32t front ring and it seems like very good quality so if they made a 40t I would buy that.

Dont Rep me
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post

The cassette specific cog seems like marketing to me. WT's way to one up OneUp. There has been many reviews on the OU 42t and nobody has mentioned poor shifting.

I can see WT making different cogs because of the different spacing with Shimano and SRAM cassettes so you don't have to use shims like with the OU. Unless there is some kind of comparison where is shows a discernable difference between the Shimano and SRAM specific cogs...its all marketing.
    Marketing or not, more competition means better and cheaper products for us consumers.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer.2 View Post
    Marketing or not, more competition means better and cheaper products for us consumers.
    +1 on this. Wondering when Shimano or Sram will make a 42T or 40T 10sp. cassette, if ever?
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    +1 on this. Wondering when Shimano or Sram will make a 42T or 40T 10sp. cassette, if ever?
    Why not do a 44-11 10 speed or something like that so you still keep the range and don't need a special freehub or der. Wouldn't it be just like a xx1 but missing one gear in the middle somewhere?
    And I love beer!!

Nuts

You made a good purchase, you don't need to help justify it by putting down another product or company. I have been guilty of this a time or two.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Now we have two similar products to create a cheap 1x conversion with 11-42T cassette for sram and shimano. Full shimano 11-42 drivetrain, dream comes true!

OneUp Components 42T Sprocket
    Wolf Tooth Components 42T Giant Cog

There is also the general lee cassette, which replaces 4 cogs and cost twice, let's leave it out now due to cost.

2. $90 vs $100, $10 cheaper.

That's what I can tell from the web pages. Looks like Wolf Tooth is a better choice.

Anyone tried both? Or maybe the hot and new WTC Giant Cog? (OneUp has many reviews already)
    I can not compare Oneup to WT, as I have a German made 42T. I will say this though, the Wolf Tooth front chainrings are great products. I like them better than the Sram xx1. They run so smooth and quiet. Because of this, when I replace my 42t I will get a Wolf Tooth. They also have really good CS.

mtbr member
    People get way to sensitive about things.

This is a "vs" thread and I'm just giving my opinion.

If WT can show that there is an improvement in shifting by having a manufacturer specific cog...I'll buy one. I do have more than one mountain bike.

Since these 42t cogs are the hot item for the moment...manufacturers are thinking marketing and one upping. How can I market my product that does the same thing, is manufactured with the same equipment out of similar materials to be different?
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member

11-42T conversion: OneUp vs. Wolf Tooth

I've got an SLX cassette for a while, while I wait for my XT to show up.

Gonna swap out the 13t cog. Not 100% sure the cassette will go back together properly... Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Why not do a 44-11 10 speed or something like that so you still keep the range and don't need a special freehub or der. Wouldn't it be just like a xx1 but missing one gear in the middle somewhere?
    I think they would need a special derailleur for that huge gap. Shimano puts a well designed complete package, I find it hard to imagine they would just throw a cassette out there without a fully working kit. for example, even current derailleurs need an extra long B tension screw and thats with 42, imagine with 44. They would probably reengineer the geometry of the derailleur to be closer to the small cog, or use tricky cage like sram. And there is a the question of whether freehubs can handle the torque. Like OneUp says in their blog, too small front ring and heavy riders put enough torque for premature failure of hubs. There is definitely more work to do than just a cassette, but I also think its just a matter of time until shimano puts out a 1x. If I have to guess it will be 1x10 and work with existing cassettes. I can be totally wrong on this guess, don't place bets.

mtbr member
    As CozXountry has said there is the issue of the derailleur, but also there is little difference between a 42 and a 44 when you start from a 11x36 cassette. Look at the ratios for a 32 chainring

Cog: 26, 28, 30, 32, 36, 40, 42, 44
    Ratio: 1.230 1.140 1.070 1.000 0.889 0.800 0.762 0.727

fhe jump 36 to 42 gets you an almost perfect interval ratio decrement (compare 32 to 36), 44 gains around a 1/3 of an extra gear, 40, like AbsoluteBlack is doing, is also not that great giving a ratio that is less decremental than the gap 32 cog to 36.

A 10 cog also gains relatively little, look at the ratios 10, 11, 13

3.200 2.910 2.460

the decrement between 11 and 13 is good, 11 to 10 is kind of silly because it only gets you a 1/2 of an extra gear (at a cost of more than $1000).

11x42 is huge for most uses, but for a racer or even more spread the way to go is 9x42, like Leonardi Factory is going to offer Leonardi Racing 9x42 Cassette 10 speed, 9 really gives you an overdrive gear ratio: 3.560

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I installed the 41 Ebay cassette. The der. is completely stressed and I would find it hard to believe that the der would have any longevity.
    The B tension screw bends really easy because they hit the stop at an angle . Wasn't comfortable with the setup, back to 2x
    One of the companies provides a longer B screw. It would be smart to use a tougher material than mild steel

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    +2 (or a 1000) I would think though the only hope would be from Shimano, not SRAM. SRAM's all in with their 1x11 model, and from a company ($) perspective, there is little to no reason to make 42T cassette, as it gives your customers less incentive to upgrade everything and get to 1x11.

I've said it elsewhere... I'd buy more than a few Shimano 10 speed cassettes with a 42t option. Heck, done right, it'd be a great marketing device to appeal to tied-in-the-wool SRAM folks who can't afford the jump to XX1 or XO1.

mtbr member
    I've ordered the Wolftooth, their stellar narrow/wide rings plus the fact the GC is Shimano specific (no spacer required) and comes with the B tension screw shows they know what they are doing.

Competent User

11-42T conversion: OneUp vs. Wolf Tooth

Same.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Since these 42t cogs are the hot item for the moment...manufacturers are thinking marketing and one upping. How can I market my product that does the same thing, is manufactured with the same equipment out of similar materials to be different?
    yeah, not much to differentiate the products, and, i'm assuming, there will be a relatively short window of opportunity to sell these things before we see some ~affordable production wide range cassettes by the major players. i can't imagine shimano won't be stepping up sooner than later (granted, it IS shimano, and while they make some really great stuff, they do have their epic head shaking moments).

anyways; cool to see all the crafty little guys filling the void. chain guide & front derailleur free full range drivetrain upgrades for ~$150? brilliant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have had an eBay 41t cassette for over a year with a X9 derailleur with no problems at all. I am running a 2X10 with a 40,27 with a 41t on the rear, I took off the 13t.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    The ebay 41T is another similar product that is probably a direct comparison. From looking at it:

• Significantly less machining
    • 3 times heavier
    • No shifting ramps
    • 41T is less than ideal for downshifting from the next 36T cog (36/42T make perfect 6 gates)
    • Narrower interface with the cassette
    • Nicely cut freehub teeth

But it costs less than half. Fair trade-off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Attachment 867239

Got mine today! Mounted up with no issues, super nice they included a longer B screw. Quality is the normal from Wolf Tooth, meaning HIGH. Looks really nice and is well finished. Details on the teeth look great. Has the feel of something that will outlast a few cassettes.

I've got a 34T chainring and XT med cage and needed to add 2 links of chain. Shifts up and down pretty much like stock. No hesitation, skipping, or added noise.

Not sure how to get the pic rotated, but you get the idea

Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast