Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

11-38 or 11-40 cassette 10-sp?

Anyone know if this exists?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    From the main brands: no
    KCNC is rumored to produce a 11-38 this year, but when?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Too bad

I don't think KCNC would be an alternative. I've had a couple of their 9-sp Ti and even Alu cassettes and it was not worth it in my opinion. And on the trailbike the weight isn't that important either! I'm running a 11-36 today, but I think I'd fancy a bit lighter 1. gear together with the single front for the long steep climbs.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A smaller chainring on the front is not an option? Don't what you have now, but they are available in 1 tooth steps from some manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, well, I'm running a 32 in front on a 104mm bcd crankset. Maybe 30t could be an option? But it is limited space on this bcd..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    30t might be available, but not sure it will fit every crank.
    Afraid you might just have to get stronger in the legs...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I might not have the best phase at the moment, but it depends of what you mean.. On the XC race bike I'm running a single 34 in front and that's no problem. But the thing is the trail bike is a lot heavier and don't climb that well and I wan't to do longer/stepper climbs without having to work so much.

So I have to think of something..

Does 30t exist for a xtr 960, 102mm bcd?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You're probably not gonna find 2 less tooth for those 2mm won.
    I have heard from people using the granny position for the single chainring, just have to take care of the chainline.
    Probably better use a 2x crankset for that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leech73 View Post
    30t might be available, but not sure it will fit every crank.
    Afraid you might just have to get stronger in the legs...
    QFMFT.

Or run a granny ring.

Or get a SS and build those legs up. 32/38 or 32/40 gear combo would be so slow you might as well walk up the hill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    QFMFT.

. 32/38 or 32/40 gear combo would be so slow you might as well walk up the hill.
    exactly!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    exactly!
    Feel free to walk, but when I'm biking i like to pedal uphill as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Archicoolaurel View Post
    NOW we're talking! A bit expencive maybe but hey, cheaper than XX1

inner peace to make peace
    i'd be interested in a

28/42 x 11~28
    or
    30/44 x 11~30

currently I run a 22/32/42 x 11~32....and either I can tune a reliable shift to 22 or 42 end, but not for both ends, so I'd like an option for a two ring to improve front shifting precision.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Very interesting? Do you know any more details? Weight, will it work with standard hubs and rear derailleurs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by randan View Post
    Very interesting? Do you know any more details? Weight, will it work with standard hubs and rear derailleurs?
    Standard derailleur
    Standard hub

Weight is 290g

Take a Sram 11-36 cassette, change the last 4 cogs by the 4 custom cogs and that's it !

https://www.facebook.com/BlogCannondale

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Standard derailleur
    Standard hub

Weight is 290g

Take a Sram 11-36 cassette, change the last 4 cogs by the 4 custom cogs and that's it !

https://www.facebook.com/BlogCannondale

Ok great, where do I buy one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Ok great, where do I buy one?
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Link is in the comments

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks, I did not look in the comments. According to the website, they do not ship to the US.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    someone making such convertor ? dun understand the website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoyen View Post
    Anyone know if this exists?
    Why do you feel the need for such low gearing? 25% grade climbing?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Why do you feel the need for such low gearing? 25% grade climbing?
    Maybe he wants to run a 1x setup & wants to run a bigger than 32 front ring.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Ah yes, the NEW "new thing" in drive trains.

Plays with tools
    Maybe he needs to realize he isn't fast enough or fit enough to run that kind of gearing and needs to get a granny ring.

1X is great if your strong enough to run it. But there seem to be a bunch of lemmings jumping to it that are not strong enough to make it work with commonly available parts.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Maybe he needs to realize he isn't fast enough or fit enough to run that kind of gearing and needs to get a granny ring.

1X is great if your strong enough to run it. But there seem to be a bunch of lemmings jumping to it that are not strong enough to make it work with commonly available parts.
    Some people just like to tinker & good on them, not every body has the time to get super fit but that doesn't mean that they can't play with there bikes.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

Plays with tools
    Some people just like to tinker & good on them, not every body has the time to get super fit but that doesn't mean that they can't play with there bikes.
    Tinkering is fine. But selecting the wrong parts for the application is just silly. A rider trying to run a 1X10 when their 50# over weight (have no idea if this is the OP) is like Gee Atherton putting a set of Marta SL's on his DH bike and trying to win a world cup. It just doesn't work.

If you still want a a 1X fine, buy it, enjoy and stimulate our economy. But realize that your going to have to get off and walk once in a while. Personally I'd bust your balls for having a 40 tooth cog on your bike. I won't say a word if I see you walking up a climb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    maybe to some people having no front mech is worth getting their balls busted once in a while.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Tinkering is fine. But selecting the wrong parts for the application is just silly. A rider trying to run a 1X10 when their 50# over weight (have no idea if this is the OP) is like Gee Atherton putting a set of Marta SL's on his DH bike and trying to win a world cup. It just doesn't work.

If you still want a a 1X fine, buy it, enjoy and stimulate our economy. But realize that your going to have to get off and walk once in a while. Personally I'd bust your balls for having a 40 tooth cog on your bike. I won't say a word if I see you walking up a climb.
    i would have thought that with a name like Customfab you would be more open minded to the fact that sometimes people just want what they want & so be it.

Stay true to your name, Watching your posts you are a smart person.

No need to bust someones balls because you think they are weak & over weight.

Plays with tools
    i would have thought that with a name like Customfab you would be more open minded to the fact that sometimes people just want what they want & so be it.

Stay true to your name, Watching your posts you are a smart person.

No need to bust someones balls because you think they are weak & over weight.
    I'm not busting their balls because their out of shape. I'm heckling them because they got suckered into something that's not appropriate for them. I'm out of shape and go up hill like a brick. Because of that I have a triple crank set on my bike. It's the appropriate configuration for me.

A couple days ago I made some silly computer mount for a customer. A long extension that came off the face plate of the stem. The goal was to get the computer between the aero bars so he could read it easier. It looked funny as hell. But it was a good solution to the problem. That's what I'm about. 'Simplifying' your bike with major sacrifices is not something I'm on board with. FD's still work pretty damn well. Why make those concessions to get rid of them when you obviously need more than one ring.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm not busting their balls because their out of shape. I'm heckling them because they got suckered into something that's not appropriate for them. I'm out of shape and go up hill like a brick. Because of that I have a triple crank set on my bike. It's the appropriate configuration for me.

A couple days ago I made some silly computer mount for a customer. A long extension that came off the face plate of the stem. The goal was to get the computer between the aero bars so he could read it easier. It looked funny as hell. But it was a good solution to the problem. That's what I'm about. 'Simplifying' your bike with major sacrifices is not something I'm on board with. FD's still work pretty damn well. Why make those concessions to get rid of them when you obviously need more than one ring.
    I was one that didn't think I would go away from a triple but gave a 2x10 a shot 26/39 & am now suprised how seldom I go into the granny, The 2x10 shifts well between front rings & now I have a very light bike, I have dropped to my goal weight & I'm getting a new frame at the end of the week & I'm going to fit a XX1 group to it because I think that will suit my riding better than even what the 2x10 does. & it will also make the FS bike easyer to clean not that that is a big deal.

So yes eack to there own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    . FD's still work pretty damn well. Why make those concessions to get rid of them when you obviously need more than one ring.
    If you live and ride in an area where the hills are small, I guess a 1x or 2x could work. But riding in the Santa Monica mtns west of LA, it is very satisfying to be abe to click a trigger and in half a crank revolution I can gear down from the middle ring to granny when the trail suddenly goes up hill. I can hear those behind me on 2x abusing thier rear shifter trying to shift up the cassette under power and several crank revolutions later getting into a low enough gear to get up the hill.

I'm with you, what do people have against the front chain rings, that yup, work really well?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i have nothing against it..but i have so many damn gadgets on my handlebar its amusing to say the least lol

what i wanted to do was to lose my front shifter, front derailleur, loose my granny gear and slide my dropper seatpost cable through my frame where my front derailleur cable sits. its not so much trying to run something i cant, but i am basically willing to clean up my bike for the sake of my own sanity lol

I have been running my 2X9 setup for 2 years now..it has been flawless and runs great. but if i ran a 30T (seems doubtful considering they dont make one for my XT crank) and a 11-36 in the rear, i can clean house.

my other option, i was even going to go to the extreme of removing my Xloc from my front fork, as i have yet been in a situation to where i even needed it..again, will be nice to clean up my handlebars.

Can i live with what i currently have? yes of course, as i have been running it for 2 years..can i run a 30T-11-36 combo? yes..i could possibly even run a 32T-11-36..

I have been running just my 32T chain ring for the past couple of rides..it gets tough, but its definitely doable, but for the 20+ mile days..it gets rough times..so i can totally see both point of views, but man it would be nice to clean up some junk up front lol

mtbr member
    that link for buying this cassette adapter for 40t doesn't seems to work - or is it sold out?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I found a 38t shimano cog on eBay for $30.00.

Found out that if you remove the 17 on an XT 10speed 11-34t and add the 38 you get a pretty smooth progression through the ratios. So for about $350 you could make "XT1".

Spread would be: 11-13-15-19-21-23-26-30-34-38

Now the question is will an XT deraileur be able to move the chain up. does anybody know?
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Grizzy: Interesting modd! Do you know what kind of Shimano cog it is?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post

Found out that if you remove the 17 on an XT 10speed 11-34t and add the 38 you get a pretty smooth progression through the ratios. So for about $350 you could make "XT1".

Now the question is will an XT deraileur be able to move the chain up. does anybody know?
    Care to show the link ? thks

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    My Redline has a 28t granny position 4 bolter steel ring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tagged for future ref
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry - not shimano. I meant shimano compatible. Seller is "mtbtools" on eBay.
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No I ran into this problem on 34 teeth chainrings after removing one gear to build dishless wheels. The size an XT can climb depends on how far it is from the dropout if you have 160mm dropouts it might work. The only thing that can climb these are the Shimano megarange derailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post

"Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is there anyone who speaks the language and can determine if it is possible to buy a 40t cog from General Lee ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbikes View Post
    Is there anyone who speaks the language and can determine if it is possible to buy a 40t cog from General Lee ?
    I am in the US and I emailed them and was told yes. Payment would have to be bank transfer of funds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Can you post the email address ? Any idea how much the 40t cog costs ? Do people have to buy the set of 4 ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Email: info@leowheels.it

Form - Leo's Wheels outlet

Unfortunately the cassette isn't shown on the Leo Wheels page anymore.

Edit:
    For those that haven't seen the cassette on the Leo Wheels page, here are the details again, taken from LEONARDI RACING KIT MODIFICA PACCO PIGNONI 11/40

LEONARDI RACING

KIT CORONE PER MODIFICA PACCO PIGNONI 11/40

Il kit è composto da due coppie di pignoni : 40/34 e 29/25 e un distanziale

Il kit sostituito agli ultimi 4 pignoni della cassetta SRAM .PG-1070 o PG-1050 permette la trasformazione del pacco pignoni in 11/40

Materiale : Alluminio anodizzato duro

Peso : 107 gr. (40/34) 55 gr. (29/25)

NB. COMPATIBILE SOLO SRAM
    Last edited by randan; 11-27-2012 at 12:11 AM.

mtbr member
    read somewhere, or saw a video... something - regarding not that flawless shifting with Leonardi's extention.
    I'm not that anal regarding that stuff, but just want to know will it skip on climbs and stuff like that.

hate when that happens. first - it all sound like I broke something; second - I HATE dismounting off bike on steep climbs, there's no continuing that climb. really really hate that.
    Last edited by ashas; 12-01-2012 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have emailed the company twice now and not heard back. Anyone else have problems trying to reach them ?

ashas, do you remember where you saw the info about poor shifting performance ?
    Last edited by phoenixbikes; 12-01-2012 at 07:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ya, I think for the cost the Action Tec 38/39t cogs are a better deal. They are titanium and pretty stiff. I'm a big rider (6'4", 220 lbs) and I've bent a few cogs that were made of soft aluminum.

I have two 40 tooth 3 bolt chainrings that I attached to 34t cogs. I drilled 3 holes in the 34t cogs and mounted the 40t rings with chainring bolts and spacers. I have been using these two homemade 34/40 setups for a couple years with no significant problems so far.

Fat & Single
    I have not had a front derailluer i used since 2008, i ran 1x9 now (apart from singlespeed) 1 x 10 but im not looking for anymore at the back.

There are options to go smaller at the front, why not try them with the existing 11-36 available.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbikes View Post
    Ya, I think for the cost the Action Tec 38/39t cogs are a better deal. They are titanium and pretty stiff. I'm a big rider (6'4", 220 lbs) and I've bent a few cogs that were made of soft aluminum.

I have two 40 tooth 3 bolt chainrings that I attached to 34t cogs. I drilled 3 holes in the 34t cogs and mounted the 40t rings with chainring bolts and spacers. I have been using these two homemade 34/40 setups for a couple years with no significant problems so far.
    Have you any photo? thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So a SRAM 10 speed RD can work with this 40T cog set? Am I understanding that correctly?

Poor mans XX1

I'm all for these wide range cogsets and dumping the FD altogether. As the XX1 trickles down and Shimano also gets on board I'll bet we see bikes made with no provision at all for a FD. Still I would have liked to see Sram continue with development of the Hammerschmidt or at least make a lightweight version. A bike with low pedal kickback works nice with the Schmidt (and why DW Link bikes tend not to)
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast