mtbr member

11-36 9-speed cassette: You can do it!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone would come out with an 11-36 9-speed cassette and I thought, I've got a few cassette's around, let's see what we can piece together..."

I figured I'd stick with the HG 61 from the 18t - 36t after trying to put the 36 on another cassette and taking out the 14 and 16 and replacing it with a 15... but the shifting between the 11 and 12 was not working so I thought that since I'm using a 10-speed chain (since I'm using a 2x10 crankset) that might have something to do with it.

So just for grins, I took the 11t, 13t and 15t from a 10-speed 11-36 cassette yielding:
    11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36 - all reasonable gaps. I couldn't find the spacing for 9spd vs 10spd cogs and I had them to use - so why not give it a try.

To my surprise - it shifts beautifully... there is no issue with the 11t to 13t to 15t, there is a very slight pause only about 15% of the time when shifting from the 15t to the 18t (18 to 15 is flawless)... probably a result of the lack of consistent shift ramps - and the rest is perfect.

So the 11, 13 and 15 came off the XT 11-36 10-speed that I had when I was using road shifters on this touring bike... so my Salsa Vaya now has an 11-36 cassette with a 28/42 crankset - all the range I'll need!

I know that this isn't exactly a cost effective way to make a cassette - but I figured I'd post it so folks know that works and if you've got the parts - or REALLY want to make it happen it is pretty easily done.

S
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11-36 9-speed cassette: You can do it!!!!!-11-36-cassette.jpg  

Last edited by stevereeneo; 11-29-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    I was wondering if anyone would come out with an 11-36 9-speed cassette and I thought, I've got a few cassette's around, let's see what we can piece together..." I know that this

I figured I'd stick with the HG 61 from the 18t - 36t after trying to put the 36 on another cassette and taking out the 14 and 16 and replacing it with a 15... but the shifting between the 11 and 12 was not working so I thought that since I'm using a 10-speed chain (since I'm using a 2x10 crankset) that might have something to do with it.

So just for grins, I took the 11t, 13t and 15t from a 10-speed 11-36 cassette yielding:
    11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36 - all reasonable gaps. I couldn't find the spacing for 9spd vs 10spd cogs and I had them to use - so why not give it a try.

To my surprise - it shifts beautifully... there is no issue with the 11t to 13t to 15t, there is a very slight pause only about 15% of the time when shifting from the 15t to the 18t (18 to 15 is flawless)... probably a result of the lack of consistent shift ramps - and the rest is perfect.

So the 11, 13 and 15 came off the XT 11-36 10-speed that I had when I was using road shifters on this touring bike... so my Salsa Vaya now has an 11-36 cassette with a 28/42 crankset - all the range I'll need!

I know that this isn't exactly a cost effective way to make a cassette - but I figured I'd post it so folks know that works and if you've got the parts - or REALLY want to make it happen it is pretty easily done.

S
    I would be OK with taking a 11-34 9-sp cassette and replacing the 34 cog with s 36.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

6 tooth jump?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I would be OK with taking a 11-34 9-sp cassette and replacing the 34 cog with s 36.
    That would be a jump from a 30t to a 36t cog ... that's a big jump or am I missing something...

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

Former Bike Wrench
    That would be a jump from a 30t to a 36t cog ... that's a big jump or am I missing something...

S
    That would be a pretty big jump, I've had a SRAM 11-32 8 speed before and it also has a 6 tooth jump (26-32) which was quite noticeable. I've found that a 12-36 setup works just fine and I don't ever miss not having a 11t.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

S
    Only a slightly larger percentage change than the 30/34. I find it more acceptable than big jumps on the small end of the cassette.

I use a 24/32 jump on my 8-sp cassettes and like it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Only a slightly larger percentage change than the 30/34. I find it more acceptable than big jumps on the small end of the cassette.

I use a 24/32 jump on my 8-sp cassettes and like it.
    I can understand that. I guess i prefer more consistent jumps throughout the cassette. When im riding around here (Colorado Springs) the terrain changes so much that having the "right" gear to spin along in for hours isn't needed. When I lived in Madison, Wi I liked having things closer together so I could settle into that perfect gear and spin for hours on the road.

S

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I put an 11t cog on my HG61 making an 11-36t with an 11 to 14 shift at the small end. It feels like jumping 2 ratios, but it shifts quickly enough. I only use the small cog on the road on the way to the trail, so the big jump doesnt bother me.

mtbr member
    I'm going to try this this winter using 15, 13, 11 tooth road cogs. I don't see any reason that it won't work. I'll get back to you when it's on the trail.
    60; it's the new 40!

A Man Of The Truth
    I know this is an ancient thread but I just came across is googling for an 11-36 nine speed cassette. My old XT cassette had teh bigger gears riveted together, but the smaller ones are loose. Is that the same situation with the HG61 12-36? Will the 11t off an XT casette just slip right on in place of the 12t that comes with this cassette? After a failed attempted to get into IGH, a 1x(11-36) may be the least worst solution for me going forward.

mtbr member
    JUST Bought a hg61 9spd 36 cassette and yes you could replace the 12t with the 11t (if you use the 11t lock ring) from your old cassette

A Man Of The Truth
    Interesting. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    well, that answers my question...

A Man Of The Truth
    I've been running this for over a year now, been working great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    1. Sup everyone. I just modified a Shimano 9-Speed HG-61 12-36t Cassette to a 11-36t Cassette. I got the 11t cog and lockring from a slightly used HG-61 11-32t Cassette. It works great with a long cage 9-speed XT Rear Mech (RD-M771-SGS). Running this setup with a 32t Chainring (1x). I posted a couple of videos on youtube showing how to do the mod. On youtube search for my username MarzNet256. Peace Out!

A Man Of The Truth
    It works great with any cassette, cage length depends on the number of chainrings you have, not really the cassette. That said, there isn't much of a mod. The small cog on the cassette isn't attached. So when you install the cassette, just use the 11t off another cassette instead of the 12t off the HG-61. It's that easy.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    It works great with any cassette, cage length depends on the number of chainrings you have, not really the cassette. That said, there isn't much of a mod. The small cog on the cassette isn't attached. So when you install the cassette, just use the 11t off another cassette instead of the 12t off the HG-61. It's that easy.
    Cool. First I've heard of this easy swap with all the drivetrain threads on this topic. I have the heavy HG cassette but would love to get an 11t back on my 1x9 bike until I go 10 spd. Will have to check it out with spare cogs I have laying around.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Sunrace makes a nice 11-36 9 speed cassette for those who are looking for an alternative to the HG61. I'm running a 10 speed Sunrace and it works great so I'm sure the 9 speed would as well.
    Sunrace M99 9sp cassette, 11-36t from BikeBling.com
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

dadamamabooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Sunrace makes a nice 11-36 9 speed cassette for those who are looking for an alternative to the HG61. I'm running a 10 speed Sunrace and it works great so I'm sure the 9 speed would as well.
    Sunrace M99 9sp cassette, 11-36t from BikeBling.com
    man, good call on the sunrace 11-36..i'd forgotten this was available. as soon as my hg-61 wears out, think i'll be going this route. i guess sunrace decided to fill a space that sram and shimano decided to ignore in favor of pushing their 100 and 11-speeds. can't beat it for $31....thanks for the link.
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Apparently the HG-61 cassette is all or mostly single rings that can be hard on alum freehubs. whats the makeup of this Sunrace M99? does it have a carrier that combines at least the larger rings? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I started this thread some time ago:

I'm looking for opinions on the Sunrace CSM99 9-Speed 11-36T Cassette.

My experience with the Sunrace cassette was not very good.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

dadamamabooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I started this thread some time ago:

I'm looking for opinions on the Sunrace CSM99 9-Speed 11-36T Cassette.

My experience with the Sunrace cassette was not very good.
    what was bad about it? did you find it wore quickly? how was the shift ramping..smooth? i went to your thread but didn't find any specifics.
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchillcar View Post
    what was bad about it? did you find it wore quickly? how was the shift ramping..smooth? i went to your thread but didn't find any specifics.
    Apologies, the link somehow missed most of the thread. Here it is again:

Sunrace CSM99 9-Speed 11-36T Cassette.

I explained the problem I had.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    Apparently the HG-61 cassette is all or mostly single rings that can be hard on alum freehubs. whats the makeup of this Sunrace M99? does it have a carrier that combines at least the larger rings? Thanks.
    The top three are on a alloy carrier, not as good as an XT but better than a HG61 and cheaper than both. I own a 10 speed cassette of theirs and it has worked well. The shifting is not quite as crisp as with a Shimano cassette (using a Shimano chain) but is not bad. I did not experience the issue Ronnie has noted in his thread.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member

11-36 9-speed cassette: You can do it!!!!!

What's the best chain to use with the Sunrace 11-36?
    Sram or Shimano?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

dadamamabooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    what's the best chain to use with the sunrace 11-36?
    Sram or shimano?

Sent from my ipad using tapatalk

kmc...