Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,037

    11-34 8 speed cassette?

    Does anyone offer an 8 speed 11-34 cassette?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Shimano Nexave HG60 but it has a 26 to 34 tooth jump on the 7th and 8th cogs.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    94

  4. #4
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,037
    Quote Originally Posted by theodash
    Interesting. Weird gear spacing.

    11-14-17-20-23-26-30-34

  5. #5
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    The best spaced 11-34 8 speed I've seen is from SR Suntour
    11,13,15,18,21,24,28,34

    Universal Cycles carries them

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    548
    i picked up one of those sun race 11-34 cassettes. seems alright except that it's pretty heavy.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    94
    I talked with Paul at Cycle Dynamics, about another matter, and he mentioned they could put together any combination of gears they cut. From the website
    "We do not produce 22, 27, 29, 31, or 33 tooth cogs"
    So they CAN match the Suntour combo.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17
    I think 11-34 is a rather unuseful combination in 8s. The gaps between the gears are huuuuge then. 6 teeth on that Suntour, Megarange!

    12-32 Is ok, though. Same as 11-32 9s., minus the 11. Used to come in XTR/cs-m900, that's nice... My LBS still has a few, joohoo.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    The best way is to make your own. Buy a XT 8-speed cassette. I used a 11-30. Then, go here (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#8) and find the loose cog section. Buy the 34 tooth loose cog. You can simply add this cog to the back of the 11-30 cassette. You will need to remove either the 11 or 13 tooth cog. I dropped the 11 tooth cog. Now, I have a 13-34 8 speed cassette that works great and is much lighter then the other options.
    Last edited by Trajan; 06-27-2007 at 04:52 AM.

  10. #10
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,037
    Quote Originally Posted by mateis
    I think 11-34 is a rather unuseful combination in 8s. The gaps between the gears are huuuuge then. 6 teeth on that Suntour, Megarange!

    12-32 Is ok, though. Same as 11-32 9s., minus the 11. Used to come in XTR/cs-m900, that's nice... My LBS still has a few, joohoo.
    Personally, I think almost any 8 or 9 speed cassette I've seen has the gears spaced way closer than they need to be for my mtb use. I like tight spacing for a road bike, but honestly, if I could easily get a high end drive train that was 7 speed and 11-34 I'd do it, especially for a one ring setup.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MikeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    The best way is to make your own. Buy a XT 8-speed cassette. I used a 11-30. Then, go here (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#8) and find the loose cog section. Buy the 34 tooth loose cog. You can simply add this cog to the back of the 11-30 cassette. You will need to remove either the 11 or 13 tooth cog. I dropped the 11 tooth cog. Now, I have a 13-34 8 speed cassette that works great and is much lighter then the other options.
    Here is another way with Shimano cassettes: Take an 11x34 9 speed loose cog cassette, take an 8 speed 13x26 loose cog cassette. Use the spacers from the 8s cassette with the 9s cogs. Replace the 2 highest gear 9s cogs with the 13 tooth cog from the 8s. The advantage here is that the ramps on the 30 and 34 tooth cogs line up because they are from the same cassette so it may potentially shift better. This is a good deal for my 29er because I never use the 11 tooth cog anyway.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    857
    I actually like the jump to 34.
    I don't really use my granny gear much anymore since getting a 11-34 cassette.
    Trek 4300 2006
    M580 LX cranks
    11-34T Cassette
    Kool-stop pads
    El Notre 7075 Seatpost
    Laser V saddle

  13. #13
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985

    No, 8 tooth jump is Megarange

    Quote Originally Posted by mateis
    I think 11-34 is a rather unuseful combination in 8s. The gaps between the gears are huuuuge then. 6 teeth on that Suntour, Megarange!
    The 26 to 34 eight tooth jump on a Shimano 11-34 8 speed cassette is Megarange. A six tooth jump is not that much...in fact its the same amount that a SRAM 11-32 8 speed has (26 to 32).

    Considering a 28t was once the lowest gear you could get in 8 speed...I think having that nice 34t would be nice...even with a 6 tooth jump (it sure is nice on 9 speed stuff...why should 8 speed riders have to suffer with higher bail out gears).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The 26 to 34 eight tooth jump on a Shimano 11-34 8 speed cassette is Megarange. A six tooth jump is not that much...in fact its the same amount that a SRAM 11-32 8 speed has (26 to 32).

    Considering a 28t was once the lowest gear you could get in 8 speed...I think having that nice 34t would be nice...even with a 6 tooth jump (it sure is nice on 9 speed stuff...why should 8 speed riders have to suffer with higher bail out gears).
    I know it's not Megarange, but to me it's just to much. I also don't like Srams 11-32 8s offering because of the big jump.. In my flatter home-region, I normally resort to a 11-28 cassette. Mtb-riding looks like road-riding a bit to much over here. Sram is great for 11-28 I think, they are pretty cheap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •